Thread: confused about FBI clearance vs police report comming from USA

Default confused about FBI clearance vs police report comming from USA

Maybe one of you American expats could answer this for me?? The ENZ application says you need to submit a police certificate from your country of citizenship. It says nothing about an FBI clearance, and yet, I have seen several posts on the forum about some sort of FBI clearance. Do I need an FBI clearance as well as a police certificate to apply under partnership category???

The FBI clearance is what is considered the police certificate from the states.

Hi Suz, thanks for your response. When I adopted internationally I had to get a police certificate from the local police department headquarters, took about 24 hrs and required just a drivers license. I also had to get an FBI clearance that required finger prints and took about 3 months to clear. So For NZ I only need the quicky local police cert?

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    Hi Suz, thanks for your response. When I adopted internationally I had to get a police certificate from the local police department headquarters, took about 24 hrs and required just a drivers license. I also had to get an FBI clearance that required finger prints and took about 3 months to clear. So For NZ I only need the quicky local police cert?
    No. What you do is go down to your local police office to get the fingerprints and then send them off to the FBI. My police office already had the proper fingerprint form and then I mailed it to the FBI with the request. The FBI check is what INZ wants for you and your partner.

OK just found the link to FBI cert requirements. It appears I need the whole shebang! Better get started.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    No. What you do is go down to your local police office to get the fingerprints and then send them off to the FBI. My police office already had the proper fingerprint form and then I mailed it to the FBI with the request. The FBI check is what INZ wants for you and your partner.
    That is true, fingerprints will be need to be from a police office but then sent to the FBI. But you don't need to get a police clearance from the local police office for INZ as well as the FBI clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Suz View Post
    But you don't need to get a police clearance from the local police office for INZ as well as the FBI clearance.
    Yes. Don't waste your money on two checks! The police only need to do fingerprints.

Go to http://accuratebiometrics.com. You get the certificate in 24 hours. They were a lifesaver for us.