Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to tell employer about Immigration plans

Default When to tell employer about Immigration plans

Hello everyone.... My Eoi is selected. I have a query. when should I tell my employer about my immigration plans? Is there any mandate from INZ about this. Thanx in advance.

Avi

You do not need to tell INZ about your plan at this stage. If you do not have a skilled job offer, you will be invited to attend an interview by your CO later. Tell him/her then if you are asked about that.

Thanks kuncle. Sorry my question was different.

My eoi was without job offer. I am currently working and not planning to quit until I get the visa. I would not like to tell my current employer about my immigration plans to NZ. Is this fine? Is it mandatory for an applicant to inform the current employer that I am submitting ITA.

Quote Originally Posted by avidza View Post
    Thanks kuncle. Sorry my question was different.

My eoi was without job offer. I am currently working and not planning to quit until I get the visa. I would not like to tell my current employer about my immigration plans to NZ. Is this fine? Is it mandatory for an applicant to inform the current employer that I am submitting ITA.
    There is no mandate from INZ to let your employer know about your plans to move to NZ. In India, if you let your employer know at this very early stage means lots of impact to your position. Employer can think from hiring perspective, you can loose your incentives, etc. If I were you, I would not have informed at this stage.
    Probably once the CO is assigned and he/she is ready for verification, I will let my supervisor/ HR know, it also depends on your comfort.
    Hope you got your answer !

There is no need at all to tell your employer yet - not for a long while. I'd go further than the last poster. Even if you get to the stage of being invited to apply, and having to submit evidence to be checked, when it comes to evidence of your work experience, you can PROBABLY get away with using something other than a letter from your present company. There have been quite a few people who have told INZ quite openly that they didn't want to let their employer know, and the CO has been fine about not making any direct approach.

Of course, there needs to be a balance. You don't want to have someone pass you over for pay rises, training courses, or promotion, when it still COULD turn out that you don't get a visa, or you decide after all not to emigrate. The whole application process can last over a year in some cases, so many things can happen in the meantime. On the other hand, if your employer has been decent to you, you might want to notify him/her that you will be going, in good time so that he has a chance to appoint someone really suitable to take over from you, and so that perhaps you can be involved in training them up before you leave.

I think this is a very interesting question and am struggling with it myself. I'd like to tell my employer so they can start to plan and transfer skills before my notice period starts, but as we know visa granting isn't straight forward and how will we all feel if it doesn't happen for 6 months, or a year or not at all?? Hmm still weighing it up!

In your case, I think if you don't want to tell your employer yet I'd put a note in with your work experience information when you complete the ITA.

I had kept it quiet during the process. The day I received approval in principal I notified them informally. It was the one time I stunned people into silence. I then started a period of almost 9 months were I prepared for handover....ensuring debrief notes in place, helping appoint a successor etc. finally advising when I received an offer on my house that it was likely to be about 5-6 weeks to departure. I never formally resigned, as I agreed that if they needed anything done I would work from NZ for a couple of weeks if required. I had a couple of email queries, but due to the negotiations beforehand there wee no issues and everyone was happy.

As soon as your EOI is selected. Advise your employer about your plans.

I told my employer when I was approved in principle. I didn't see any point in telling them until I was sure I was going. I gave more notice than I was required to--almost 7 weeks--so they couldn't complain. I did that so they might try to start the recruitment process before I left. They didn't.

Thanks everyone for reply, it helped me a lot. I decided to tell the employer at later stage!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast