Thread: Holding work visa under partnership but...

Unhappy Holding work visa under partnership but...

Hey, just want some help with the whole visa thing, it's driving me insane these days.
    So my partner is a New Zealand citizen, I am from Europe (not Britain). We've met on the internet about 2+ years ago, he visited me in my country for 3 months (as long as possible on a tourist visa). Now after a few months i'm in New Zealand, for 3 months and then applied for a work visa under partnership, got approved, available for a year. Now while in New Zealand, i figured out I am pregnant, have proof on that of course. It's been hard trying to get a job before, seems like it's not working because i have no experience now I can't work it's hard to do anything really these days... Will I get in trouble for that somehow?
    Our kid is going to be a New Zealand citizen, because it's going to be born here. Are there any options for me to stay in New Zealand? ANYHOW? It would be terrible if I would have to leave the baby to live only with his father! Please, any help?

No, you won't be in trouble with INZ. A work visa under partnership gives you PERMISSION to work - it doesn't mean that you HAVE to work.

As to what you need to do about a further visa, when you have proof that you have been living together for 12 months in all (not 12 months more from when you got your present visa), you would be eligible to apply for Residence under partnership. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ly/default.htm

And by the way, congratulations on your new little Kiwi on his/her way!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    No, you won't be in trouble with INZ. A work visa under partnership gives you PERMISSION to work - it doesn't mean that you HAVE to work.

As to what you need to do about a further visa, when you have proof that you have been living together for 12 months in all (not 12 months more from when you got your present visa), you would be eligible to apply for Residence under partnership. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ly/default.htm

And by the way, congratulations on your new little Kiwi on his/her way!
    Thank you so much! This ended my paranoia of randomly being taken by the police.

Residence already!? I thought you need to live here for at least 2 years to apply for that, that's awesome!
    Well that was fast... It's all the information I needed and it's much simpler than I thought. My life's not going to be pure death for upcoming few years after all.

Haha little Kiwi. Thank you, JandM.

Oh, dear, you poor thing. I'm so glad you asked.

Residence already!? I thought you need to live here for at least 2 years to apply for that
    What you've probably vaguely heard is that people can get Permanent Residence (PR) after living in NZ with Residence for a minimum of two years. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm Or, if someone has been in NZ for two years on a Work To Residence visa, they can apply for Residence From Work. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rk/default.htm

But that's not your situation. Someone like you, with a NZ partner, can apply for Residence once they show evidence of having been together for 12 months, even if they've been living in a foreign country (or travelling the world together), and have never even set foot in NZ.

And you're on a partner-sponsored work visa - those can be renewed, if people aren't ready to go for Residence under partnership yet.

I'm glad I asked too

Ohh, yes, I've mixed up everything, all these visa's are pretty tricksy. So if I get Residence this time, how long will I be able to stay? 12 months? And can I leave New Zealand for at least 3 months if I hold that Residence visa?

Thank you for all the information! Everything's much clearer now.

Residence because you're a partner is the same as Residence granted for any reason, and it's potentially, within NZ, for ever. With a grant of Residence you get two years' travel conditions, which allow you to come and go from NZ freely. (So your idea of a three-month trip out of the country would not be any problem.) If your travel conditions run out when you're outside NZ, and you didn't promptly do something about it, your Residence could lapse. But as it says on that first link http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm, once you've been in NZ for two years on Residence, and you meet the 'commitment to NZ' requirements, you can change to Permanent Residence, then you can come and go freely for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Residence because you're a partner is the same as Residence granted for any reason, and it's potentially, within NZ, for ever. With a grant of Residence you get two years' travel conditions, which allow you to come and go from NZ freely. (So your idea of a three-month trip out of the country would not be any problem.) If your travel conditions run out when you're outside NZ, and you didn't promptly do something about it, your Residence could lapse. But as it says on that first link http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm, once you've been in NZ for two years on Residence, and you meet the 'commitment to NZ' requirements, you can change to Permanent Residence, then you can come and go freely for ever.
    Okay, I understood now. Thank you for your help and time to respond !