Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Condensation

To answer the question about reviews- it would be probably this site:
    http://www.consumer.org.nz
    you might want to look at. You can view specific products and pay for the access of the full report, unless you decide to sign up for a whole year (or so, not sure). I used it once for a kitchen machine, you can pre- view what models/ brands they test and then decide if you think it is worth it.

According to www.consumer.org.nz, it costs 1.15 - 2.30 to run a dehumidifier for 24 hours. I monitor the humidity level in my house. When it gets close to 60% I run the dehumidifer until it drops to close to 50% and don't have mold or condensation in my house. (my house is insulated but the windows are just single-pane).

Not sure if you rent or own your house, but long term I would recommend considering HRV or a similar system. We got ours after our first winter here and it really has made a big difference. We very rarely get any condensation now and when we do, I just crank up the HRV on the burnt toast mode for a bit and it'll clear it all up.

Some may consider it lazy/wimpy, but personally I don't want to wipe my windows every morning or open them for that matter if it's cold outside; I feel the cold quite a bit and prefer to stay toasty and warm when indoors, so the HRV has worked a treat for us.

We run a dehimidifier all day, everyday through winter and it goes a long way towards keeping things comfortable. We still get condensation when the night time temperature drops below about 11 degrees, and I get thoroughly suck of wiping windows and frames every morning, but if it doesn't get done there is mould within 3 to 4 days. Was far less of a problem when we lived in Canterbury and the relative humidity was lower. However this year we purchased a Karcher window vac on the advice of a friend, and I have to say, it is bloomin fantastic and sucks up so much water. You can get them in Good Guys for around $100 or so.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12