Thread: Bizarre Experiences

Default Bizarre Experiences

Driving past a field of sheep today reminded me of a bizarre experience in New Zealand - a city neighbour grazing a pair of sheep in her back garden. I'm wondering what other people's bizarre experiences have been. Have you had any yet?

Grazing sheep in a city backyard.....very Kiwi!

Last month, when my daughter-in-law and granddaughter were in NZ, we visited the Stone Store in Kerikeri. As we got out of the car, I noticed a couple of chooks (hens/chickens) at the edge of the parking lot and remembered that a flock of stray chooks lived there. I walked into the middle of the almost empty parking lot and called, 'here chook chook chook'. Dozens of chooks came running out of the bush and followed me around the parking lot. My DIL and granddaughter were suitably impressed and are still laughing about it.

Stray chooks aren't uncommon - you often see them at picnic areas off the motorway or in parking areas. I have to remember to carry some chook food in the boot.

A few years ago, I was out in the backblocks of one highway or another (don't remember which one) and got stuck in traffic. Doesn't sound strange so far, except the traffic was my Toyota Echo versus about 500 head of cattle. And because my car is smaller than they are, they weren't fussed by it. Even when I started very slowly edging forward in an attempt to encourage them to part ways for me, they just stood there as if to say, "Yeah, nah." Fortunately a courier ute came by, pulled around me and forced the stock to move out of the way.

Nothing is as weird as Wellington and the men in mankinis during the Rugby Sevens...nothing.