Thread: Level 8 instead of level 9 - But 140 points ?

Default Level 8 instead of level 9 - But 140 points ?

Dear All
    I have been a regular visitor of this forum as a reader. Wanted to thank you all for your support as I plan to start my application. Had few doubts , which I sincerely hope someone would be able to help me out.

1) Prior to applying for EOI , I did a PAR ( Pre Assessment Result ) for my qualification. Although I have a full time MBA from a recognized university, instead of rating as level 9 , my degree was evaluated as being equivalent to level 8. Is it possible to ask the authorities to again review PAR application based on my qualification?

2) Even with level 8 , I am able to achieve 140 points only ( without job offer ) . Do you think I should submit my application now or wait for IQA ( where I can get level 9 ) and then apply EOI with 150 points ?

3) Although I am the principal applicant , I also would be claiming points for my spouse qualification ( level 8). I have got her PAR done and she has achieved the required level. Do I need to do an IQA seperately for her at a later stage or IQA is needed only for myself ?

Hello.

There is no advantage, when submitting an EOI, to having 150 points rather than 140. 140 points or more will get your EOI selected at the very next fortnightly draw. So you don't need to do anything about the PAR, and you can submit your application as soon as you like, knowing that there is no uncertainty about its being selected for processing in the very near future.

A PAR is given only by the name/title of the qualification - there is no investigation of the content and depth of study of the course, as there will be when you put in for the IQA (which you will have to to send in with your ITA). It is quite common for there to be a discrepancy between the levels awarded at PAR and then at IQA.

As you are relying on your wife's qualification for some of the points on your application, you WILL need to get an IQA done on it as well.

THANKS A LOT for your prompt response. Really appreciate

You say that a PAR is given on the basis of a degree title - I was given a Level 7 for 4 year Master of Engineering, which is Level 7 on the UK qualification framework (just below PhD, level 8).
    I've been waiting for my IQA for 2.5 months so far, but with any luck I should get a Level 9.

You say that a PAR is given on the basis of a degree title
    I say that because that's what we are officially told. Personally, I would never bother to waste time and effort asking for a PAR, because there is so often a big discrepancy between that and IQA. I've seen the comment made that the PAR, being cheaper, is useful to anyone who has no idea if their qualification will get them through, i.e. it can weed out people with totally unrealistic expectations, but I don't agree, considering it's so hit-and-miss.