Thread: is an average SMC residency visa processed quicker if your temp work visa (essential skills) will expire before?

Default is an average SMC residency visa processed quicker if your temp work visa (essential skills) will expire before?

Hey everyone,

This is a kind of "non urgent" question, more out of curiosity from some of the posts I've read on here. I have been extremely lucky to have found skilled work since arriving in NZ last October. So far I have had two short term essential skills work visas and my third one will hopefully be approved for a six month period from July 1st 2013.

I am also in the process of submitting my residency application and it should be submitted soon after I get back my passport for the temp visa work application. My question is the average processing times for residency visas here in Wellington are 9-12 months... by the time my third visa gets close to expiring it will be 6 months in to the residency application.

I have heard from some (JandM sorry to put you on the spot lol) that they don't tend to rush residency applications if they know that you are legally working here in NZ, they only seem to process things quicker when they know that an expiration deadline is fast approaching. So has anyone had their RESIDENCY application approved around the six month mark? It's significantly shorter than the 9-12 period INZ states, I just wondered if I would have to get temp work visa no. 4 to cover that period.

It's looking ahead I know, I was just curious if anyone had experienced this?

My guess is, in your situation, you can ASK, and/but what happens will depend on current conditions in the INZ office at the time.

There is no official guidance or direct evidence to show it is faster under the circumstance of expiring work visa. However, some people shared their story that it did boost the processing time (at least they could feel it faster) after they told their COs about their situations.