Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Going from 'Work to residency' visa (accredited employer) to permanent residency

Unhappy

@JandM.

1. WTR isn't Residence of itself - it's on the way to Residence. When you get as far as applying for PR, your time on WTR will not count towards the two years you have to have held Residence, which is one of the criteria.
    However, from 'girlwithanewf' reply above, she seems to have got a PR straight after spending 2 years on this work visa.
    We were on a talent visa for 2 years, then applied for residency. That came back as permanent residency because we were fortunate enough to fulfil the salary requirement. We all got the permanent residency status, even though the visas we held as a family were talent/work/student visas.

2. With Residence you get two years' travel conditions, which entitle you to leave the country and return as many times as you like within that period. Then the travel conditions expire, and should you leave, you would not readily have the right to re-enter. When you have PR, you have the right to leave and re-enter for ever.
    Clear. However, I have the same conditions on my current WTR visa.

The reason why I am hesitating to apply for residence is because the application is somewhat expensive, if I consider the costs of application, medical tests, police certificates from different countries - etc. Having said that, I don't mind spending this money as long as it helps me get to the PR.

The advantages of going for residence now, as I see are -
    • If I want to change jobs, as a resident, I am free to chose any company/work. On my current visa, I need to scout for another accredited employer.
    • A bit easier to get home loans as a resident.

What am I missing?

1. WTR isn't Residence of itself - it's on the way to Residence. When you get as far as applying for PR, your time on WTR will not count towards the two years you have to have held Residence, which is one of the criteria.
    However, from 'girlwithanewf' reply above, she seems to have got a PR straight after spending 2 years on this work visa.
    Yes, that is because SHE went through the whole two years on WTR, then applied for Residence from Work. I was saying that if you choose to cut short the WTR process by applying for Residence under SMC, you will not have access to the concession that allows someone applying for Residence from Work to go straight to PR.

I do not think you will need to do medical tests again as long as you are applying within 36 months from applying the first medical certficate.

Please anyone, correct me if I am wrong

Yes, that's correct. And police certificates can be used again within 24 months.

Default Processing time

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Any specific question?
    We were on a talent visa for 2 years, then applied for residency. That came back as permanent residency because we were fortunate enough to fulfil the salary requirement. We all got the permanent residency status, even though the visas we held as a family were talent/work/student visas.
    Hi, Can you please tell me how much time did it take for you to get your permanent residency from the day you applied for it? I am on WTR Talent - accredited employer visa and would complete 24 months in NZ in July 2016.

I was earlier told by immigration (and had also read it somewhere) that for this particular category the turn around time is pretty quick but just not when I had called up immigration again I was told that it might take up to 6 months.

Timings aren't always the same between one applicant and another, because they partly depend on how much work is going through that particular INZ office at the time, and for that reason, any time stated will only be their estimate, and can never be a promise.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    This application can go quite quickly as they are processed through the business immigration section and we know of other peoples' applications which took a similar length of time.
    Can you tell me what you mean with quickly? Seems like our RFW will be processed through the business immigration section. And it would be great to know a time frame...

2-6 months

Quote Originally Posted by nevermindnz View Post
    Can you tell me what you mean with quickly? Seems like our RFW will be processed through the business immigration section. And it would be great to know a time frame...
    That took a month, in Wellington, March 2012. Just our experience at that point in time though. It could have changed a lot, I have no idea.

Hello Everyone. I am in a similar boat to most on this thread (On a Work to Residence Visa with an Accredited Employer and I'm looking to go straight to Permanent Residence). However, I'm currently just under the $90,000.

My 2 years of Work to Residence doesn't come to an end till next June, so I feel confident I can get my employer to bump me to the $90,000 in the next 9 months or so. However, currently my employer pays 5% of my pay as 'Superannuation allowance'. I get it all as I don't have a superannuation, but INZ1003 clearly states:

"Note: if you have a base salary of NZ$90,000 or more you may be eligible for a permanent resident visa."

As such, would anyone know whether my 'base salary' is 5% less what I actually get paid, or is the reference to base salary targeted at people who may earn over $90,000, but do so in bonuses/commision?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast