Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold weather... house insulation.

Default Cold weather... house insulation.

Just a thought, but if NZ is as ‘green’ and environmentally friendly as its supposed to be… why is there lack of insulation and double glazing in the houses? I have noticed that some folk on this forum seem to think that the cost of heating is exorbitant, and I guess rightly so given the lack of good insulation. Is it that New Zealanders just don’t feel the cold?
    Are there no concessions from local authorities in the way of ‘insulation grants’?

It's because the standard uniform you need to buy to become a kiwi is:
    polyprops
    (more than one pair acceptable and both top AND bottoms are necessary)
    Fleece Jacket from Kathmandu (Outdoor type of store)
    Swan dri (I think that's what they are called...they are waterproof anyway - a sort of woollen jacket.

So you see.....insulation and heating is unnecessary because you wear all of that indoors too!

And....
    you must have an electric blanket!

Ohhhhhh… I see. Well as for the Swandri, I can agree that they are great. Me and the wife went to the Swandri factory when we were there… bought a couple of coats. I use mine when I go out hunting, real warm. However, I am a firm believer in having a nice warm house to relax in, nothing worse than getting home from a hard days work in winter, and finding the house like a bloody freezer!

Brit Guy

I agree. I can cope with any amount of harsh, cold weather as long as I know that when I get home the house is nice and warm - especially the bathroom, there really is nothing worse than freezing in the shower.

I was talking to my father in law last night, he was asking me all about our plans,hopes etc for when we get over there. I told him that I wasn't looking forward to spending winters in a wooden house with no heating, insulation or double glazing. He said "yeah it does get cold but you'll get use to it" ..... er ..... I don't think so !!!!!

Diny

Have looked at a lot of houses recently and yet to find one with central heating. Best you can hope for is gas wall heaters (very small) and heated bathrooom and kitchen floors.

Kiwi answer is if your cold put a jumper on. Sorry but their houses are freezing but English mate who has been here years says you get used to it and when you go back to England you will find central heating oppressive !

Michelle (sat next to pathetic heater in balmy Auckland)

No you dont and we haven't worked out the answer to Britguys question
    about greeness yet either. I think that a lot of people here genuinely believe they are 'green' but don't seem to see cause and effect on this issue. Obvious to us that the less insulated the house the harder the heating has to work so the more energy is consumed. They have got the technology now for solar powered underfloor heating as well as water heating so thats the road we aim to go for in the longterm.

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

I am with Diny, at least the bathroom has to be warm...

If you guys think you have it bad, we come from the tropics and getting used to the climate alone is bad enough, let alone a freezing home!

Unfortunately, I get real aches in some of my joints in cold weather (early onset of arthritis), and for this reason we considered Aus as opposed to NZ, however, I hope that it may not be as bad as the UK, especially Chch, as it is drier according to the weather stats. I must say that the hot (excuse the pun) topic of ‘cold weather’ surprises me, as according to all the charts, most parts of NZ have more sunshine, higher average temperatures and less rainfall than the UK… however, it seems that most of you (south island) seem to comment most negatively on the weather.

Our idea is to have a house built to our own spec’. I am considering the following points re heating:

Double glazing (a must)
    Solar heating of water
    Underfloor heating
    Heat pumps
    Extensive insulation throughout

I would be grateful for further comments on this, especially from those who have done/are doing similar.

You are quite correct what you say about the weather. In my experience the NZ climate is no better (and alot more rain) that we have here - but like I say - that's just my experience.

However ..... over here we have brick houses with double glazing and central heating (as a rule). So - no matter what it's like outside we are 'toasty' on the inside.

Sitting in a weatherboard house (which is usually built with a good space between the floor and the ground) - no d/glazing, no heating, no insulation, the draft will hit you from all sides and top and bottom ...... believe me .... you WILL feel the cold.

Hi,

We've been thinking about this too. Once we are there and ready to own a place am thinking we will have to get one built. Mrs Yogi won't do without central heating forever that's for sure.

Been told a good estimated build cost is $1000 per sq metre, wondering how much to add for decent insulation, double glazing and central heating (radiators or underfloor radiant). Anyone know?

May even consider hiring a bunch of british brickies and getting it built in good ole brick/concrete block with an insulated caverty wall and dry lined using untold luxuries such as air bricks.

Cheers,

Yogi.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast