Thread: postdoctoral research fellow

Question postdoctoral research fellow

I applied for resident visa claiming points for my 2 years postdoctoral research fellowship offered by Massey University, New Zealand. The immigration officer said I cannot have any points for this JOB. Does anybody ever claimed point for this type of JOB?

I tried to claim work experience from my PhD studies, stating the claim that I was not sitting in a classroom, I was out in the "field" collecting data and that it was the most relevant experience to my position as an environmental research scientist.... and INZ said the same; you can't claim points for studies.

However a post doc is not studies at all, it's work! You get paid a wage and just because it is post doctoral, it doesn't have anything to do with studying...

as a result I find this strange that they would not accept it? Maybe because you mentioned Massey University?

A post-doc is not education, it is paid work. Research fellow (without the post-doc) is where your job experience counts--but I'm not sure how it's measured against being a lecturer.

Well my job (postdoctoral research fellow) is not on LTSSL but it is on ISSL. Can i stll claim points if my job is mentioned on ISSL and not in LTSSL? on LTSSL the name of job is "Lecturer" while on ISSL name of job is "postdoctoral fellow". Both have same ANZSCO = 242111.