Thread: Permanent Residence or Work to Residence scheme?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Permanent Residence or Work to Residence scheme?

Hi there!

I am planning to move with my partner from the UK to NZ around the end of this year. My partner is a registered nurse and therefore his occupation is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List. He will be the main applicant in this process as my qualifications are not in demand in NZ. He is in the process of securing a job.

It looks like most of the nurses who relocate from the UK to NZ apply for temporary work visa (usually arranged by an agency). Not sure if it is due to lower processing fees or time?

My preference would be to apply for permanent residency as I fear that a temporary work visa will make my job search more difficult.

It would be great if you could provide some advice.

Many thanks.

Nick

1. You can't apply for permanent residence as the first thing you do. You can apply for Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category, and proceed to PR a minimum of two years later.

2. It may well be that many people with a job to go to in NZ apply for a temporary work visa so as to be able to get there and start working as soon as possible. This doesn't stop them also applying under SMC at the same time or a little later, and that has the advantage that a lot of the evidence submitted will do for both applications.

3. If your partner initially gets a temporary work visa, you're entitled to apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, which would match his for length of time. This is an open work visa which allows you to take any job you're offered, skilled or not. Being able to show a valid visa of whatever kind, you shouldn't be at any disadvantage over any other immigrant.

Ok. Thank you!

Hi JandM,

What would we the advantage of going through the SMC instruction - as opposed to the temporary work visa - if after 2 years we still need to apply for PR?

With regards to the partner-sponsored temporary work visa i assume that I cannot start the process until my partner actually got his temporary work visa? Or can we lodge both applications at the same time?

Many thanks for your help

Nick

With regards to the partner-sponsored temporary work visa i assume that I cannot start the process until my partner actually got his temporary work visa? Or can we lodge both applications at the same time?
    You send everything in together, linking it with a covering letter. The CO will work it all as one case, supplying things you won't know at first (such as your husband's visa number) as they become available.

If you get Residence (which is done under the Skilled Migrant Category by those being employed in NZ), you potentially have a visa that is for ever within NZ, entitling you to live there and work at ANY job, although the travel conditions allowing free travel in and out will run out after two years. When, two years or more down the line, you apply for PR, it is pretty much a done deal if you follow the instructions http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm - no formalities, no more medicals, etc.. The two-stage thing is because NZ don't give out a permanent visa to people who don't look as if they are going to stay, and contribute to the country.

Whereas a temporary work visa is linked to a specific job. If the job failed (company went under, or the sack or redundancy), no more job = no more visa, a very quick scrabble to find another skilled job and get the visa transferred, or everyone has to leave the country. A temporary work visa has to be renewed when it expires, and this is not a foregone conclusion, as INZ will ALWAYS be encouraging to employers to find a NZ national, citizen or residence holder to do the job. And the essential skills lists are updated according to the job market every year, so the job that got you in MAY not count as essential any more by the time you want to renew.