Thread: Can I get Partnership points? and My options

Default Can I get Partnership points? and My options

I am in the process of searching all my options of getting into NZ.

I worked as an au pair in Auckland on the the Working holiday scheme. I of course met my boyfriend towards the end of my year there. I then moved to Australia on their working holiday scheme.

My boyfriend and I continued our relationship and have been together for a year now. The thing is, he is going towards his permanent residency through a partnership visa with his ex-gf. I know he cant even sponosor me for 5 years now.

My only option at this point is to try and acquire points for the EOI. I have a degree in a Skilled field. What I was wondering, what constitutes as a partner for the EOI? Since he is no longer dating this girl and we have been together for a year, can I consider him a partner on my EOI? Since I am not trying to get a visa through partnership?

Cheers

How long is it since his ex-gf sponsored him?

They are both not from NZ. He he is the primary sponsor. They both have residency and wont get PR until april of 2014. They obtained the sponsor/resident visa March 2012. They broke up one month later.

Oh, I see. That's not the situation I'd gathered from what you said before, so what I was thinking turns out not to be relevant.

Anyway, looking at the instructions for SMC, the only place it mentions the partner is bonus points available for their qualification. ('Close family in NZ' only means parents and adult siblings. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30869.htm)

You can't count this for your partner, because
    A partner's recognised qualification only qualifies for points under this provision if:
    the partner is included in the application;
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42640.htm

That is for this reason.
    SM17.1 Aim and intent

The aim of providing bonus points for a partner's recognised qualification(s) is to recognise such qualifications as an indicator of the likely contribution of the whole migrating family.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30597.htm

Thanks, Jan for the post. I am in the same situation ( more or less) as arkast. The website is clear on this

Thanks, I guess I just wasnt looking in the right place! Thanks agai nfor taking the time to answer my question.