Thread: Buying a car to ship with 5 week lead time, burning questions!

Default Buying a car to ship with 5 week lead time, burning questions!

We're about to buy a car to ship in our container to NZ in about 5 weeks and wondered if anyone could help please?
    I've read tons about it so know about deep cleaning, having to pay 15% plus the various fees etc, plus I've already been to NZ and bought a car for my wife (which was an unregistered jap import) and so know about the process, and I still want to do it ..

I've chosen the type of car we want but not the individual one, we'll be buying second hand. Before we choose a car, I wondered what we should look out for?

- Is rust allowed at all? Are they fussy about rusty exhaust pipes (which to me is a normal way for an exhaust pipe to look) or will the exhaust need replacing?
    - How long does it take to get a statement of compliance from audi? Do I contact audi in the UK or NZ to get it?
    - Is it possible to get the engine number 'vetted' before we buy it to solve any of these issues?
    - Are there any companies who can help as we have a million other things to do and I dont want to make an expensive mistake?

thanks
    Simon

Look on NZ Transport Website - they are pretty helpful. There's a few companies who can do the work for you (albeit for a cost), just google it. Although tbh, if you get the data from Audi, get it steam cleaned and checked by an expert before you go (to ensure it's compliant), and it fits the other conditions on the NZ Transport Website, you'll be fine. Remember you need evidence of ownership etc. etc.

Generally speaking most modern Audis are fine, A2 possibly only exception as never sold in NZ.

You've obviously looked into it, but is it cost effective? New audis are approximately equivalent price in NZ, older second hand ones a lot more (e.g. 10yr old TTs, A4s etc. much, much more), but if it's slightly newer, would it be worth it, once you pay significant charges (as it goes on length of ownership)? Remember, any warranty from a dealer would be useless in NZ, it will be worth less resale as imported, you'll have to mess around looking at the KMs in the middle of the speedo.

Only cars I've ever seen worth importing are big engined German ones - e.g. RS4, or a BMW 650 or something. Generally speaking they depreciate a lot, lot faster in the UK due to engine size. Whereas in NZ, the size of engine doesn't impact tax, so they retain value.

Thanks, had a look through their website, eventually, after much digging, found that they put you in touch with audi NZ but didnt say how long the process takes. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if they were less than helpful on the matter so was hoping for other options.

Yes, I've looked into prices a lot too, and NZ has no shortage of very high mile moderately specced pretty old cars, but I worked out we can get a much nicer, newer, 'all the options' model for about 30% less, all in, from that 'depreciation dip' kind of age, so it seems like a no brainer. Yes, you make more on something like an RS4 or a porsche, but anything at the nice end of the any particular model range in the 'depreciation dip' in terms of mileage also seems a pretty good bet it seems - and anyway, I'm buying it to use, not to sell - and another of the reasons is that there's a real lack of choice in the NZ market when it comes to colour and specs.

The charges are 15% max, as I understand it, and this reduces based on length of ownership, but 15% is manageable.

I've driven a lot on the continent, and miles/KM on the speedo doesnt bother me on our VW, I imagine Audi is pretty similar - its easy to read either as needed. These days I generally read the speed off the GPS anyway, as that shows you the speed limit too so is more useful

Good point on the dealer warranties, we might as well buy from an individual, which often costs a bit less, and put the extra money into mechanical tests.

Saw an RS4 today, someone pulled into the garage I was visiting in one - a very very nice car ... but not or me in NZ I don't think, with all those sneaky traffic cops everywhere. Quite tempted by a Phaeton W12 to be honest, that's an amazing car for a stupidly low price in the UK, but it's just not really what we need.

Just a thought but you need to check out how long you need to have owned the vehicle before its allowed to be imported without charge, I thought it was 12 months but maybe I am wrong good luck

Quote Originally Posted by UKNZ View Post
    We're about to buy a car to ship in our container to NZ in about 5 weeks and wondered if anyone could help please?
    I've read tons about it so know about deep cleaning, having to pay 15% plus the various fees etc, plus I've already been to NZ and bought a car for my wife (which was an unregistered jap import) and so know about the process, and I still want to do it ..

I've chosen the type of car we want but not the individual one, we'll be buying second hand. Before we choose a car, I wondered what we should look out for?

- Is rust allowed at all? Are they fussy about rusty exhaust pipes (which to me is a normal way for an exhaust pipe to look) or will the exhaust need replacing?
    - How long does it take to get a statement of compliance from audi? Do I contact audi in the UK or NZ to get it?
    - Is it possible to get the engine number 'vetted' before we buy it to solve any of these issues?
    - Are there any companies who can help as we have a million other things to do and I dont want to make an expensive mistake?

thanks
    Simon

Hi Simon

I shipped my car about 6 months ago. I am very glad I did it but was also very lucky!

Rust is a no no. However AA found some rust on the underneath of my car, but just put some stuff on it for me, rather than getting it treated. I had a big rust hole in my exhaust (I was unaware), but they just sent it to the garage next door who fixed it for me - didn't cost too much either.

You don't need a statement of compliance- I didnt have one. You can apply for immigrants exemption instead.

Email Renee at the AA. I sent a picture of my VIN plate which they checked for me. Mine wasn't on a list but it didnt matter as I applied for the immigrants exemption. Rene was amazingly helpful!

René Hausin | Motoring Advisor

E. rhausin@aa.co.nz W. www.aa.co.nz

Thanks for that - you're the first to mention this useful person! His predecessor at the AA was brilliant to deal with, and since he retired, we hadn't known who to recommend contacting.

I emailed Wally the predecessor and Rene replied. Hopefully Rene is still there- it was October I last spoke to him/her?

Very very helpful and I got regular weather updates with my replies!

Importing was pretty easy to do on my own, as long as you have the correct paperwork and lots of patience! MAFF wanted their money of course, even though it had undergone a 6 hr valet. Just assume they will want to clean in your finances.

Quote Originally Posted by UKNZ View Post
    Thanks, had a look through their website, eventually, after much digging, found that they put you in touch with audi NZ but didnt say how long the process takes. Also, I wouldnt be surprised if they were less than helpful on the matter so was hoping for other options.

Yes, I've looked into prices a lot too, and NZ has no shortage of very high mile moderately specced pretty old cars, but I worked out we can get a much nicer, newer, 'all the options' model for about 30% less, all in, from that 'depreciation dip' kind of age, so it seems like a no brainer. Yes, you make more on something like an RS4 or a porsche, but anything at the nice end of the any particular model range in the 'depreciation dip' in terms of mileage also seems a pretty good bet it seems - and anyway, I'm buying it to use, not to sell - and another of the reasons is that there's a real lack of choice in the NZ market when it comes to colour and specs.

The charges are 15% max, as I understand it, and this reduces based on length of ownership, but 15% is manageable.

I've driven a lot on the continent, and miles/KM on the speedo doesnt bother me on our VW, I imagine Audi is pretty similar - its easy to read either as needed. These days I generally read the speed off the GPS anyway, as that shows you the speed limit too so is more useful

Good point on the dealer warranties, we might as well buy from an individual, which often costs a bit less, and put the extra money into mechanical tests.

Saw an RS4 today, someone pulled into the garage I was visiting in one - a very very nice car ... but not or me in NZ I don't think, with all those sneaky traffic cops everywhere. Quite tempted by a Phaeton W12 to be honest, that's an amazing car for a stupidly low price in the UK, but it's just not really what we need.
    Funnily enough I was browsing Phaetons in UK yesterday and couldn't believe the price - even the 3.0 TDIs or 4.2 V8s are silly money - $6 or $7K for a low mileage example!

Big engined cars are part of NZ culture - you don't get hit for tax on emissions, and fuel is much more competitive than the UK. Actually, RS4, M3 make more sense in NZ than in the UK; they're not fun at straighline speeds (motorway) - much more fun on the windy roads in NZ, especially though the mountains - you don't need to speed to power out of corners!

In the UK I was a big diesel fan due to the torque and economy - but in NZ have soon moved to silky V6s or V8s.

One thing worth considering is that a Passat W8 estate is only $14 or $15K from a good dealer with a warranty. You won't get those often in the UK, and I test drove one - they're like a rocket, smooth as silk, but amazing torque. Fully loaded too.

My mate at work has an import Audi, needed a hose replaced a few weeks ago to satisfy WOF, and it cost him $900 (plus labour) for a 10cm hose. Is not just import costs you need to be aware of, but the long term maintenance costs of an import.