Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Another Driving License Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8

    Default Another Driving License Question

    Hi there,

    I've been scouring the forum for an answer to my question, but can't seem to find any. So here goes.

    If you are required to take a practical test in order to convert your overseas license, and know no one that is an eligible supervisor; how do you get to the testing centre in the first place - since you'd need to provide your own vehicle for the test?

    A very naive question, I know. But very, very curious.
    Last edited by jannah; 6th June 2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: missed out some information

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    S'pore-2-AKL again
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Not naive, just thoughtful.

    The right way to do it is to ask someone else to drive you to the test centre. Basically anyone with a valid license can do it. It is a dumb ruling since you are not allowed to drive during the interim period leading to the test. There is some really deep thinkers at th LTNZ to come up with this brainer.

    Anyway, whatever you do just be prepared to answer this question- how you got to the test centre.

    I got asked this question by my first tester who didn't believe my answer that I lived quite close to the testing centre. I told her to check my address and I would be happy to prove it. She didn't bother to check but she was a hella b$%#@ anyway and it was all the way downhill right from the start. Couldn't stop finding fault with everything I did. Needless to say I did not pass the first time (despite me having 15 years of driving experience).

    My second tester was a dream. Didn't have anything to say to me except to give me directions, and test questions. We end 10 mins later with him praising me as an excellent driver, completely faultless and chatted on the drive back to the centre.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    1,540

    Default

    I would think if you don't know anyone who can drive you, and as a preparation to the test anyway, it might be a good idea to book one driving lesson with an instructor, they usually know the route the test will go and give helpful hints. And then you could ask to be picked up for the test and use the driving- school's car. At least that is what my two sons did, both had some lessons before they did their restricted test and one of them had one before his full. And they didn't use one of our cars.
    Just as an idea.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pilipinas->Auckland NZ
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jannah View Post
    If you are required to take a practical test in order to convert your overseas license, and know no one that is an eligible supervisor; how do you get to the testing centre in the first place - since you'd need to provide your own vehicle for the test?
    Hi - This is in the assumption that the overseas license is already past due one year validity in NZ, right? I mean, if I will be applying for a license and I still have a month or two until my one year validity expires, i can say that I used my international driver's license?
    Last edited by trevore; 6th June 2013 at 09:42 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    S'pore-2-AKL again
    Posts
    877

    Default

    He's right. If you really can't find anyone who has a valid driving license to drive you to the centre, then hire a driving instructor, take a few lessons to familiarise yourself with the tests and get him to send you on the testing date. There is a course for overseas drivers to familiarise themselves with the NZ practical driving test, what they look out for, the questions they asked.

    As for the other question--> once you apply to take the practical test, you receive a temporary restricted NZ driving license. The AA staff will inform you, you cannot use your overseas driving license (even if it is still valid) and tell you, you no longer can drive unsupervised. Like I said, real brainers at the LTNZ to come up with that one.

    I did bluntly ask her how am I supposed to get around then......she said that is up to me but if you take the chance to drive still, you are taking the risk.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pilipinas->Auckland NZ
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post

    As for the other question--> once you apply to take the practical test, you receive a temporary restricted NZ driving license. The AA staff will inform you, you cannot use your overseas driving license (even if it is still valid) and tell you, you no longer can drive unsupervised. Like I said, real brainers at the LTNZ to come up with that one.
    I see, so that's how it works... though I still couldn't get the logic there... allowing international license to be used for 1 year but it will be invalid when application is started given you still have not gone through the 1 year period...

    Thanks for the information.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Blenheim
    Posts
    1,540

    Default

    Why do you only get a restricted NZ licence, if I may ask? We had to convert our driver's licence, as everyone else has to, but only had to do the theory and got the full NZ one? Or has it to do with the fact that you need to do a driving test, too?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    35,522

    Default

    It depends on what country's driving licence the person already held, as mentioned here. http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/fa...-licences.html
    Some countries require similar driving skills and have similar licensing systems to New Zealand's. Depending on the country you have come from and the class of licence you are converting, you may not have to sit theory and/or practical tests. Other countries may have driver licensing systems that are very different from New Zealand's. People from these countries do have to sit both theory and practical tests.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    S'pore-2-AKL again
    Posts
    877

    Default

    Certain countries were recognised to be of equal standards and systems to the NZ standards so hence they need not do more than to convert their license to the NZ driving license. At one point in the regulation, migrants from Asian countries needed only to take the theoretical test and then be able to convert their license. Then somewhere along the line before 2008 the rules were restricted so that migrants from Asians countries needed to take both the theoretical and practical driving tests. The only Asian country given this exception is Japan.

    I presume it has to do with the high accident rates among certain Asian migrant drivers that such arbitary sweeping regulations were made.

    I have a Singapore license btw, had I known it would be so cumbersome to convert my license, I would have converted it to a Queensland license years ago when I studied in Australia so I wouldn't have been bothered with such a archaic rule. If you don't know already, the Singapore driving license is recognised in both Australia and the UK so there is no need for me to bother with theoretical or practical tests.

    Anyway when I enquired with the Police HQ why I did not get an exemption considering that the Singapore system of driving and standards are high and similar to NZ, their response to me was that there was no mutual entreaty agreement between NZ and Singapore that recognises each other's driving standards. So the reason is not because our roads, standards or driving systems are dissimilar but perhaps there is not enough diplomatic relations between Singapore and NZ to warrant such a mutual exchange.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    Certain countries were recognised to be of equal standards and systems to the NZ standards so hence they need not do more than to convert their license to the NZ driving license. At one point in the regulation, migrants from Asian countries needed only to take the theoretical test and then be able to convert their license. Then somewhere along the line before 2008 the rules were restricted so that migrants from Asians countries needed to take both the theoretical and practical driving tests. The only Asian country given this exception is Japan.

    I presume it has to do with the high accident rates among certain Asian migrant drivers that such arbitary sweeping regulations were made.

    I have a Singapore license btw, had I known it would be so cumbersome to convert my license, I would have converted it to a Queensland license years ago when I studied in Australia so I wouldn't have been bothered with such a archaic rule. If you don't know already, the Singapore driving license is recognised in both Australia and the UK so there is no need for me to bother with theoretical or practical tests.

    Anyway when I enquired with the Police HQ why I did not get an exemption considering that the Singapore system of driving and standards are high and similar to NZ, their response to me was that there was no mutual entreaty agreement between NZ and Singapore that recognises each other's driving standards. So the reason is not because our roads, standards or driving systems are dissimilar but perhaps there is not enough diplomatic relations between Singapore and NZ to warrant such a mutual exchange.
    I also found it strange that my Hong Kong license could not be converted to an NZ license whilst one from the US (with a very different system) could be converted with only the payment of money. I asked my driving examiner about it and he stated that the reason was simply the proliferation of fake driving licenses from Hong Kong and other Asian locations.

    By the way, I drove myself over for my driving test and no one asked about it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •