Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you call/text your family and friends back home?

I'm all Apple, all the time, and so is my dad in Tennessee/Texas. Makes it easy to FaceTime him. I used to Skype my mom's landline phone, but I got fed up with that noise and bought her an iPad mini so I could FaceTime her, too.

We Skype and use Facebook. For the occasional call, I picked up a calling card just because it's the simplest option for my usage.

I also use Magic Jack Plus. i plug it into my laptop and it works perfect. It is basically having speaker phone on your computer. I know you can connect it to your home phone too. I need it the most when i need to call an 1-800 #. It has been so handy.

I have a Skype Extra (or plus? brain fart) account, Canadian based, that gives me unlimited calling to Canada and the States for about $6 a month. I can call any landline or mobile in those two countries. I can use the Skype app on my computer, phone or tablet. Or I can use a local "skype out" number here in Auckland: when I ring it I get a list of speed dial numbers I"ve pre-programmed. Works well 90% of the time.

For messages I use iMessages on my iOS devices, or What's App with those who have a non-Apple phone. One buggary thing about What's App is that your account is binded to your mobile number--so if I have more than one phone with What's App (like my personal versus work mobiles) it requires two accounts.

I pay NZ$139 a month for a Vodafone landline, 100gb internet, unlimited calls within NZ and unlimited international calls to 20 countries (including the U.S). Well - "unlimited" has a two-hour cap per call but if you reach two hours, you just hang up and call back. NZ$US 139 = US $109 at today's exchange rate. Vodafone says the int'l plan is just to landlines in the U.S. but I call cells and there's never a charge.

I am on the phone or Skype every day to the U.S. Nothing has changed - I call and chat with friends in the U.S. on a regular landline as often as when I was living there.
    Last edited by Dell; 9th June 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Skype app on my smartphone and India subscription= hassle free calling. Login into the app, it can see all contacts from smartphone, choose a contact and dial. Feels almost like using phone connection for calling. Requires 3G/Internet.

Whatsapp for images and co-ordination. skype for most part. Phone card as a backup. This is how I am managing it for starters.

Skype Skype Skype and chat on FB is much cheaper & easier than mobile texting!

Quote Originally Posted by hfitton View Post
    Skype Skype Skype and chat on FB is much cheaper & easier than mobile texting!
    I looked for the "like" button when I read your post, so I guess that shows how often I'm on Facebook!

We use Skype to call with and without video to the UK and sometimes US. There is a nominal charge for using Skype to calla telephone no but really cheap. We use facebook too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12