Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Bed House in Akld Under $600k With Good School Zones?? Possible??

Default 3 Bed House in Akld Under $600k With Good School Zones?? Possible??

Hi Everyone

We’ve spent a while looking around for houses within 10km of the CBD. The budget is $600 but we are really struggling to find anything zoned for good primary AND secondary.

Any suggestions?

A wider search area?

I suggest considerably widening your search area. Even if I could find a 3 bed house that close to the CBD for only $600k (I'm saying 'only' in a relative sense, because that is way beyond the reach of many) then I doubt I'd want to live in it. You could buy a reasonable house for that sum in some of the outer suburbs and still have a commute of less than 45 mins to the CBD, and there are plenty of decent schools around. It would depend on whether you are after something more specific, like a high school with a Cambridge exam or IB stream as opposed to the NCEA qualification.

You might want to pick up a copy of "Where to live in Auckland" (http://www.wheretoliveinauckland.co.nz/). It lists all the areas with a short analysis of the area's prospects, housing prices (although a couple of years behind), schools, commute times, etc. You might discover an area that you hadn't considered before.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    A wider search area?
    How wide? That money could take you to Invercargill and two homes instead of one

Well we live in Oteha/Albany area, and there are still some reasonable 3 bed houses in the high $500's to low $600's, as long and you stay to the west side if East Coast Road. Closer to the shore gets more expensive, as do prices the further down the North Shore towards the CBD, where you'll get a poorer quality house for the same money. This area has good primary schools, is zoned for the well regarded Rangitoto College, with Long Bay College and Akbany Senior High near by. There are also a couple of private schools in the area....Kristen School follows the IB programme and Pinehurst does Cambridge. This area is about 25-40 minute commute to the CBD depending upon time if day and exactly where you live in this area, as the bus services vary. The northern expressway us the quickest option.

You could also look at suburbs to the West, East and South that are a similar distance to the CBD. There are different schooling options and commuting options in each area....ferry, bus, train etc.

Rangitoto is very good. I found the expressway to be 15 mins from North Shore, and it is a really good service as long one lives on or near the bus routes.

I agree that good 3-bedders near to the CBD for under 600K is a rare find. Unless you are willing to consider plaster houses and those come with another host of problems. You may consider extending to a wider search. Look at Mt Albert, Sandringham or Mt Roskill, I am saying you might, just might, find something there but it probably needs a little doing up. These suburbs are in good school zones.

You can find a couple of decent houses in the Birkenhead area (North Shore) and still have a reasonable commute by car or ferry. You can consider also ECB as it is a wonderful area to live in, good all-round schools a reasonable commuting distance of about 40 mins to 1 hour in peak traffic. I love living in the area so much that I am not staying too far away from it.

If you move to hibiscus coast the ferry takes 50 minutes.
    Limited service with only 2 out in the morning and 2 in the evening.
    But it is such a nice way to travel to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    If you move to hibiscus coast the ferry takes 50 minutes.
    Limited service with only 2 out in the morning and 2 in the evening.
    But it is such a nice way to travel to work.
    Nice way to travel, IF it's running (does not run in inclement weather, those days take 1 1/2 to commute each way).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast