Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rent accommodation from overseas

Default Rent accommodation from overseas

Hi,

Is it possible to rent a 1 bedroom apartment in Trademe.co.nz or Realestate.co.nz before arrival? Or I have to chose hostels and backpackers in the first days?

Apart from the fact that it's quite difficult to make any arrangements from outside the country, it is much safer to wait and see a place for yourself, before you commit. Apart from the fact that some written details, even with photos, can be deceptive, it's a good idea to go and get the feel of the neighbourhood, and whether YOU like it, which can be a very individual decision.

A couple of the landlords I've spoken with have been open to it, but I agree with JandM that it's probably not a good idea to rent sight unseen, because everything I've heard is that the photographs on TradeMe can be very deceptive.

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30243 I remembered this old thread, which was quite amusing but cautionary! (To update my post on there, by an odd coincidence, on our next NZ visit, we actually got to see that house I talked about. And it was GORGEOUS. We would've bought it on the spot, if our circumstances had been different.)

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26193 Then there was this one, which is longer.

Best to use the hotel/hostel for 1-2 weeks once you arrive.
    Ads on Trademe or similar sites will always show the best part of the place and may leave out other unsightly things or issues that you may not like. Also, you will get a better feel of what different areas are like.

I made that mistake when I was a student going to America for the first time. I thought since it was through someone I knew, it should be fine. To my horror, it was a garden level apartment with little sunlight and quite cluttered. I moved out after two months of trying to get used to it - never did.

Moving to a foreign country in itself is a big stress factor. Choosing good housing will mitigate that stress and make the transition easier.

We arrange a short-term rental prior to landing in NZ but only because we had a friend here who could check it out for us. Like others have said pictures don't give the full picture and with the nature of the materials used in most residential properties here, damp and mould can be a major issues. Not to mention the lack of heating.

I know hostels/backpackers aren't the most comfortable places to start a new life in NZ, but worth the few weeks of higher rate per night to ensure you find the right long term rental.

Depending on your financial situation, these websites might be looking a for more comfortable/private immediate rentals while you look for a permanent rental
    https://www.roomorama.com/short-term...ax_price=250&d[]=&d[]=2301&d[]=2303&d[]=2304&d[]=2305&d[]=5209
    https://www.roomorama.com/short-term...ax_price=250&d[]=&d[]=2301&d[]=2303&d[]=2304&d[]=2305&d[]=5209

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

In addition to the obvious pitfalls of ads generally showing the best of a place, I think you'll be hard pushed to find a landlord who would take the risk as well, without you paying a few months' rent in advance. and on the flip side, would you pay thousands of $$s to someone you havent met for a flat you haven't seen?

Well, I'm going to go against the grain here and say that it is possible but perhaps I've just been lucky and had a good experience. I arrived at the beginning of Feb with three young children so I really didn't want to spend longer that I needed to in a hotel or similar. We stayed for 3 nights in a serviced apartment but then moved into a house I found and rented through Trade Me while still in the UK. I talked with the landlord on the phone and trusted her, especially as she didn't demand a deposit or anything until I arrived. She also furnished it for me (bare bones) as our furniture is yet to arrive. Extremely fortunate, perhaps, but just to let you know that it is feasible. You have to contact the admins at Trade Me, though, to let you register on a limited basis - you can't sell (not that you'd want to I guess!) but can look at property and you will have access to the contact details of landlords etc. I messaged them explaining my situation and they let me register while in the UK.

Anne

We used the phone a lot when we were heading out here and found that people were more receptive to voice than email ........ its amazing what the personal touch can achieve even from so far away. Good luck

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast