Thread: Chest x-ray for WHV GP referal UK....catch 22 situation

Question Chest x-ray for WHV GP referal UK....catch 22 situation

I'm in the process of applying for a WHV for NZ to go there at the end of this year.

I'm applying for the 12-month visa.
    Usually, one just applies and that's that.

However, since I have lived for more than 3 months in two different countries which are NOT of low TB incidence in the last five years, i'm required to send a chest x-ray with report to prove that i'm TB-free.

I would be tempted to lie about having lived abroad, but i'm an honest person and besides, my university degree will be an obvious indication of time spent in a non-EU country!!

So, I phoned the nearest panel radiologist to book my appointment, and was told I would need a GP referral.

...I booked an appointment with my local GP and explained my situation, asking for a referral due to my visa situation. My GP tells me he cannot refer me to the hospital that I need referring to, and will only refer me to my local hospital...which is not on the panel doctor list.

So what do I do!??! I need a referral, but can't get it, because I don't live close enough, but can't get my visa without my chest x-ray...i'm in a pickle, as they say.

This means, surely, that somebody is fibbing? Either I don't need a referral for the chest x-ray (but two different people have told me I do) or my GP is being a numpty and should refer me to where I want to go.

Can anybody give me some advice as to what to do?? I've tried phoning the embassy but they won't give advice about visas, only INZ will. But they'll be an expensive phone call so i'm putting them off for a while.

Sorry this is so long, it's a bit complicated! Hopefully i've included all the necessary details??

Pre-emptive thanks for any words of wisdom thrown my way!!!

Sarah

This is an awkward one. I'm wondering whether you will end up having to have the medical, though in theory you don't need it for 12 month visa, just to get access to the X-ray which you DO need. But I think INZ are the only people who will be able to pronounce on the matter. Can you consult them by email, perhaps? (See the mention in the link given below.)

Re: phoning INZ, here's an old thread telling you a phone number which has put people through without using the £1-a-minute line. I don't know whether any of these still work, but it could be worth trying. http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38296

Have you contacted a panel doctor for the referral?

You would surely need to go through a panel doctor just in case there is a problem.

Ian