Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Entitlement in NZ Contracts

Default Holiday Entitlement in NZ Contracts

Under the Holidays Act 2003, employees are entitled to a minimum of three weeks' annual holidays after the first year of employment. This provision is increased to a minimum of four weeks' annual holidays from 1 April 2007
    How many of you have been held to the above clause in your employment contracts (IT folks especially)?

Current employer has allowed hols from day one, pro rata for the year, not affecting the next years allowance. New contracts that have been offered so far have had the above clause, but are willing to let holidays be taken in advance, this means 7.5 days per year over a two year period, which is just rubbish (although legal). With a new child and possible trips to the UK this is almost impossible to accept?

Experiences folks? anyone negotiated pro rate allowance from day one, or have you all been made to wait 12 months? Or are the NZ employers just taking the mickey out of us immigrants?

Both Woz and myself are earning our hols as we go along - Woz's contract (I.T) does state that he needs to wait a year before taking hols but this has not been upheld. (when he first joined last Nov he asked for 2 weeks off in the Dec as his sister flew over with her family and this was granted with no probs).

Again, my library (council contract) allows you to take it as you earn it - and entitlement is 4 weeks holiday and 10 days sick. Any doc's appt's/dentist appts get put down as "sick".

I know of only one person (they're on this forum so they'll probably respond) who has not been allowed ANY holiday for a year... I guess it's up to the employer whether they wish to enforce it or not.

Fisher & Paykel in general will make you work to earn the entitlement. My wife will have worked 8 months this year without any holiday, and as such will only be entitled to a pro-rata number of days NEXT year ! Appauling in my opinion, as I get the entitlement straight away working for Fletchers - it means it will be 2007 before we are both inline and able to know we can plan things in advance.

Neil

The job market is tight for employers just now, I'm simply going to refuse to sign a contract that doesn't give me proper holidays from day 1.

I figure if they're not going to do that, they're not going to be a nice place to work anyway

Sal's Husband

I figure if they're not going to do that, they're not going to be a nice place to work anyway

Absolutely, I am really surprised they can get away with it, would be a bad sign in my eyes if an employer could see a staff member go without a holiday for a year.

Surely not in the best interests of an employer to offer no or little holiday. Without a break to recharge the batteries, employees are just going to lower their output (subconsciously or consciously) over time.

I'm tempted to tell my story of the Canadian lumberjack who didn't take time out to sharpen his saw (probably no need now, as I've given away the punchline)!

Was he axed?

Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf
    Was he axed?

My hubby's company and my company have the same, work-as-you-earn holiday scheme.
    If my hubby is ill, my company allows me to take care of my hubby by classify my day off as sick leave.

We worked less than a year and have to go back to Holland for his parents' golden jubilee bash. Our bosses allow us to use up our pro-rata holidays.

Personally, I think it is impossible, and unreasonable to expect someone to work one full year before granting holidays

Sorry, Sal's husband, you have to ditch this employer and go for another company that is family-oriented

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast