Thread: Interesting Zdnet article on NZ IT Salary situation

Default Interesting Zdnet article on NZ IT Salary situation

Might be useful for ICT folks thinking of moving to NZ-

http://www.zdnet.com/au/nz-it-sector...on-7000016820/

Interesting article.

Very interesting and exactly my experience so far working in IT in NZ. The wages vary from laughable to stellar(ish) and it all depends on your field of expertise and skill set ( like any other sector ). I agree the average wage seems stuck and among the contacts I've made in the sector, no-one is pushing the $75K ceiling. Far from it, in fact. Without overtime and other wage enhancements, the base salaries of experienced and capable engineers stuggles to reach $70K let alone $75K. On the other hand, the job I'm doing here currently pays very similarly ( slightly better in comparison ) to the job I had in the UK and it's a lot less stressful. I know IT roles in the UK don't push much above 35-40K GBP mark unless you're a consultant or developer so I would say the NZ market is very comparable at the moment.

Define IT? I know plenty of people in IT making $75k and well over in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by markoneswift View Post
    Very interesting and exactly my experience so far working in IT in NZ. The wages vary from laughable to stellar(ish) and it all depends on your field of expertise and skill set ( like any other sector ). I agree the average wage seems stuck and among the contacts I've made in the sector, no-one is pushing the $75K ceiling. Far from it, in fact. Without overtime and other wage enhancements, the base salaries of experienced and capable engineers stuggles to reach $70K let alone $75K. On the other hand, the job I'm doing here currently pays very similarly ( slightly better in comparison ) to the job I had in the UK and it's a lot less stressful. I know IT roles in the UK don't push much above 35-40K GBP mark unless you're a consultant or developer so I would say the NZ market is very comparable at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    Define IT? I know plenty of people in IT making $75k and well over in NZ.
    "The wages vary from laughable to stellar(ish) and it all depends on your field of expertise and skill set ( like any other sector ). I agree the average wage seems stuck and among the contacts I've made in the sector, no-one is pushing the $75K ceiling"

As I said, it depends on the specific field and skill set. I have seen many jobs in IT project management, development, application delivery / deployment etc etc attracting salaries of well over $75K. IT is a very broad discipline and I'm sure there are people in the industry earning generous salaries. Contractors do particularly well and if you're prepared to be paid by the hour or sign a 3 / 6 / 12 month contract then the rewards are pretty good. In the infrastructure engineering field which is where I work though, the wages don't seem to go much above the 75K mark unless you're lucky or work some serious hours and do loads of overtime.