Thread: How long in same job?

Default How long in same job?

Hi,

I have applied for my residency under the SMC. Its not approved yet. I have been in the current job for only 4 months. How long should I stay in the same job? Can I switch to another job in the same field?
    please advise.

thanks in advance.

Does your application rely on the points from being employed?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Does your application rely on the points from being employed?
    Hi JandM,

Yes it ofcourse does. Its not for me but my friend. He is a chef and has applied for residency under SMC. Results still pending.

I heard someone saying its 3 months but is it after getting approved or from the date of joining the job?

If someone applies for Residence under SMC, with having a skilled job in NZ as part of the package, then they have to be IN a skilled job, using the skill they prove the qualifications for in the application, when the case is being processed. The CO will need to investigate that the job meets all the requirements.

Suppose your friend is offered another job that is equally skilled. He must be on a temporary work visa at the moment, and that will be connected to the first job. He can't move to another job without EITHER getting the conditions of the work visa changed to the new job (if INZ are satisfied it is an equivalent) OR applying for a new temporary work visa. Suppose he does one of those all right, and moves to the new job. Your friend will need to make sure that all the details are given quickly to the CO checking the SMC application. If they had already checked the first job, there will be some delay caused because they will now have to check the new job as well. If they hadn't already checked, he will need to make sure that they don't go to the wrong company to ask about him.

Being in an employment for three months is a condition which CAN arise (but won't always do so) after approval. You can see from what I said just above that a set time for working somewhere wouldn't be sensible/possible while someone is still waiting to find out if they can get Residence.

Thanks a lot JandM. That helps