Thread: Residence or PR Residence needed to pay domestic fees at University?

Default Residence or PR Residence needed to pay domestic fees at University?

I'm a bit confused as to if you need to have permanent residence or just residence, in order to be classified as a domestic student in NZ while at University?

When reading on University websites it says you need permanent residence for domestic fees, but people online seem to be saying that just residence is enough. Does anyone have any experince with this?

If anyone could advice that would be great
    Last edited by Tivoli; 23rd June 2013 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tivoli View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to if you need to have permanent residence or just residence, in order to be classified as a domestic student in NZ while at University?

When reading on University websites it says you need permanent residence for domestic fees, but people online seem to be saying that just residence is enough. Does anyone have any experince with this?

If anyone could advice that would be great
    Yes, I can confirm from personal experience that one only needs the residence visa to be eligible for domestic tuition fee at a university in NZ.

Tivoli, the reason for the different wording is that INZ changed the names of visas as from November, 2010. There are many official bodies which have not yet changed their literature and websites to catch up. A Resident is definitely eligible to pay domestic fees. (See the bottom section here. http://www.universitiesnz.ac.nz/stud...tic#Definition of domestic student)

Thank you very much Sabbaq and JandM!

I would phone up the enrolment office and ask them directly.

Residence entitles you to pay domestic tuition. Note, however, that you are ineligible for student loans for two years after arrival, should you need them. (I have two children attending NZ universities).