Thread: Occurrence of return flight for visitor visa?

Default Occurrence of return flight for visitor visa?

Hello,

I am planning to travel to New Zealand from Finland (Visa free country) and would thereby be allowed to stay for 3 months. I would possibly extend my stay to totally 5 months either by applying for an extended tourist visa or a working holiday visa.

My question is: Am I allowed to enter NZ with a flexible return ticket 5 months after my entrance? The ticket could thereby be changed to a return 3 months after arrival in case I would decide not to stay longer. The reason is that I need to pay some extra fees for changing my return ticket, and would obviously avoid these extra costs if I travel back on the intended date. The FAQ sites only state that you need a "Valid return ticket". I don't believe this should be an issue but I'd like to be on the safe side and have it confirmed that my ticket is "valid" with the above mentioned conditions.

The reason for not directly applying e.g. for a working holiday visa is that I would need to do the "immigration medicals" due to my health condition, which would cost me about 800 EUR (~1350 NZD) in Finland + the need to travel totally ~1000km for the survey. I've learned via this forum that the cost in NZ could be as low as 250-400 NZD, whereby I think it would be sensible to apply when arriving in NZ.

Thanks a lot in advance for your (possible) answers and tips!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but your ticket has to be before your entering visa expiry date.