Thread: Character waiver and re-applying if turned down

Default Character waiver and re-applying if turned down

Hi there

My partner has applied for Residency but regrettably has a drink driving conviction from nearly 5 years ago in the UK. He's had 3 working visas in NZ approved since 2010, disclosing the conviction on all occasions.

They are going to ask him for a character waiver so we'll do our best to own up, plead and grovel to get the waiver. I am a NZ citizen (he's applied under partnership category), we own a home together here, he has a brother, sister in law & nephew who are residents here as well and he has a fulltime skilled job, and he's not been in any trouble since.

What do you think the chances are of getting the waiver? I know it probably depends on the Case Officer, but there are no other issues with the application.

Worst case scenario and if it doesn't get approved, can he re-apply after the 5 years is up for drink driving convictions? We stupidly didn't look closely at the regs before we submitted the application (had we waited 4 months, the 5 years would have been up!)

Any advice would be appreciated as highly stressed right now :/

I'm no expert and can't tell you what will be the outcome but a driving conviction is a minor offense when compared to others...

How do you know they will ask for a character waiver again?

I have a drink driving conviction from 1996 and a minor conviction from 1989 and still feel positive about the outcome of my residency application that I just submitted this week.

Try not to worry too much

Last edited by elasmo1; 26th June 2013 at 03:48 PM.

right, you were referring to A5.25 in the operations manual yes?

convicted at any time during the last five years, of an offence (including a traffic offence), involving dangerous driving, driving having consumed excessive alcohol (including drunk driving and driving with a blood or breath alcohol content in excess of a specified limit) or driving having consumed drugs; or

now I understand why you mentioned the 5 year timeline

I know because the CO has told us on the phone she'll be seeking a character waiver letter from him.

Yes, am hoping all will be okay, is just so nerve-wracking and wish we'd just read the thing and sent the application in a bit later. So dumb!!!!

You're bound to be concerned, right up till the time the approval is in your hand. But there have been people tell us on the threads about getting their visas with far more serious offences than this. Good luck.

Thanks for the reassuring words JandM. Feeling better now, just a matter of waiting and hoping we have more things in our favour than against I guess Have a great day.