Thread: Working Holiday to Residence Interim Visa?

Question Working Holiday to Residence Interim Visa?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone might have information of what happens when applying for residency when on a Working Holiday Visa and the WHV runs out?

Just as a bit of background, my WHV expires at the end of September 2013. I have more than enough points for residency under the skilled migrant category (165) and I have received a permanent job offer here in NZ.

I am in the process of getting my qualification recognised by NZQA, but I'm wondering what the deal with an interim visa is between now and when and if I get residency. The website states that they don't hand out interim visas when you apply from a temporary visa to a residency visa. However, I'm assuming Immigration is going to have my passport when my WHV expires. What happens then?

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Chloe

If your Residence application is not going to be processed in time to take over from your expiring WHV, you will probably need to apply for a temporary work visa (as well as the Residence). These can be processed more quickly. And once the application is in, INZ can automatically do an interim visa if need be.