Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We fly tomorrow!

Default We fly tomorrow!

After months of planning, anticipating, and waiting, the day is finally here. We fly Air NZ out of LAX tomorrow night. 13 hours later, we'll touch down in a dark winter morning in Auckland, God willing.

We'll spend a couple days in Auckland, getting de-jetlagged and hopefully seeing a lot of the city. On Saturday, we take the KiwiRail "Northern Explorer" to Wellington, where my future employer has set up accommodations at the Terrace.

So exciting!

Any tips on surviving the flight with a sleep-deprived toddler?
    How should we spend our 48 hours in Auckland?

Toddler - lots of books and food; poor people around us must have known "I love you Blue Kangaroo", "Goodnight Moon" and "Bear Hunt" off by heart by the time we landed. Mine slept a reasonable amount luckily which is more than I did. She couldn't really get to grips with the earphones to watch films etc. so I had to entertain her all the way from London when she was awake. Best of luck!

Here are some old threads about what to do/see in Auckland http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy...iw=818&bih=519 - there's plenty of help there.

Safe journey and happy landings.

COngratulations for the start of your trip.

Safe journey and happy landings

congratulations, wishing you safe and comfortable flight.

Best wishes for the flight.
    The train from Auckland to Wellington sounds like a great idea...would love to know how you find it and how you get on with all your luggage and a toddler!

We really liked the Art Gallery in Auckland and the park behind it. Also St Kevin’s Arcade has some interesting shops (including The Cruelty Free Shop) and another park near that. And we quickly got into the coffee shop culture and I don't drink even drink the stuff

Safe flight and happy landing! We found that a boat trip and walk helped clear our heads of jetlag - we went across to Rangitoto and got moving! That really helped the jetlag and blew the cobwebs away. It's probably also worth having an activity bag for the wee one on the train journey from Auckland to Wellington. Don't get me wrong - I can stare out of train window for hours, but my OH got fidgety, and I don't think either of us realised quite how long that train journey feels (as opposed to knowing how long it takes!). But it is a beautiful journey

It IS beautiful, but I'm another who had had enough of being in that train at various points along the way.

Beer. Beer helps with the toddler. Or, will help you help with the toddler. Our flight over in January was two hours of hell at the beginning and end with the middle 6 or so of her sleeping. Wish you luck on the train ride.

Thanks, guys. I have no regrets about the train. It was fantastic. You spend six months of hard work, money, and all kinds of paperwork tedium just to get here. When we landed, we wanted to see this beautiful place once and for all, and the KiwiRail did not disappoint. It literally brought us to tears!

To all those who raised caution about the toddler, you're absolutely right. It was very tough. He barely slept. Spent a lot of time crying and cruising the aisles. Luckily he's adorable, and most passengers were thrilled to see him.

The ride is a bit long. After 8 hours, I was ready to get off. That's right around the time the sun was setting. Two and a half hours in the dark with a fussy toddler was not fun at all.

But definitely.. not regrets. So much better than another sardine can flight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast