Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three years in

Default Three years in

Where did the time go?

Landed in June 2010, still working for the same company, although in a more senior role, that I started working for in Sep 2010. My OH started working, as an architectural designer in Jun 2011. The quakes had a silver lining for him, in that architecture is an up and down business, but he is likely to be able to have a lt of work for a long long time!

So in the last year we decided that here is where we wanted to stay. We started house hunting and were lucky enough to be able to buy a 150 m2 house with an awesome view...it was what we decided our house needed more than anything else, looking back at why we had chosen our other homes. We love winter as we get to see the sunrise over the Pacific.

Purchasing in the current Chch climate was highly stressful, and at one point we thought if we couldn't resolve the insurance situation we would look to move elsewhere in NZ. Luckily we were OK. Having said that I possibly would not have bought without David's building knowledge...as he was aware where not too look and what to watch out for, having spent the last two years looking at earthquake damage.

Moved in, moved out again for EQ repairs and are now in again. Spent 4 weeks living in a house in the red zone....it was like zombie land. It was hard going, we got ill, Davidsampled the care of the NZ health system when he developed pneumonia. It has been a tough year but we love where we are.

We have seen friends head back to the UK permanently and on holiday this year. While I have no desire to return to the UK to live part of me wonders how I would feel on holiday there...but there is so much to see and do here...still not been to Oz, all those South sea islands, Asia...so many other ways to spend out money.

Have acquired two new family additions in two JR pups...making our family complete...having lost our old JR about 18 months ago, but we never regretted bringing her or our elderly cat with us .....although both are at rest in our new home.

I miss people from the UK...but realized that there is not much else I need to return for....I don't hanker for foods/clothes/M&S or Next....the libraries here make up for the book prices and there is always kindle. I wish my Mum and Dad had been able to see this place. I am hopeful my niece will be out on a WHV next year. My sons love their life here.

Three years in...looking at citizenship in another two years, looking to my children starting secondary school, making plans for a life here in the future...even considering the campervan to explore when we retire........

So the sun has well and truly risen on our new life... Just like this morning..it is good!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mamee & Co; 6th July 2013 at 04:59 PM.

Great view! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
    Sounds like you're settled.

Very pleased for you. Congratulations.

Great post, thanks for sharing.
    )

I loved your post.., and your photo! What a view!
    Best of luck for the years to come.., and come and visit Blenheim at some stage

Thanks for sharing your sheer experience...

Thanks for sharing your inspiring experiences

Nice one Sheena , lovely sunrise for sure

Nice

What a great post. So happy that your experience has been so wonderful!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast