Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Recent Trip to Wellington

What I would call cladding, you would call veneer but we are talking about the same thing here. I believe most houses even brick-n-tile in NZ are just merely veneers/cladding with timber framing and not the solid brick (block) built houses as one would expect (coming from a different country).

It takes getting used to and a big leap to appreciate it. I know of Singaporeans and other Asians who believe wood is so far inferior as a building material, they would only pay for brick, block housing not knowing about the timber framing.

Hi! It's great to know that you've enjoyed your stay in Wellington and that is a lot of places you have explored! We just arrived recently too and I don't think we have been to that many places yet. Probably because we had returned our car We're looking to buy a 2nd hand one so we could drive out to explore the hills! We live near the harbourside market and I love going there every sunday! The veges are cheaper than New World and maybe fresher too. Contrary to your experience, we've tried Hell pizza but not Heaven and it's not bad. We're planning to stay here for at least a couple of years so if you do make the move, we could meet up.

Glad you had a good trip to Wellington! And that is just the City alone! There are the Hutt Valley, Wairarapa, Porirua and the Coast to explore!

(most) CBD parking is free after 6pm on weekends and free on weekends!!!!!

I'll recommend Burger Wisconsin for fast food here in NZ. Slightly expensive than your usual fastfood joint but far better quality. Lots of amazing authentic asians restaurants here in Wellington City. Tatsushi serves really good Jap food. Seoul House does good Korean BBQ. Little Penang, good malaysia dishes.

But definitely can't find good singapore hawker food here
    Last edited by fayevalentine; 11th July 2013 at 03:11 PM.

I meant free after 6pm on weekdays and free all day on weekends

Thanks for the tips guys! Will surely try when we get back, maybe last quarter this year. It's quite tough looking for roles.

Quote Originally Posted by fayevalentine View Post
    I meant free after 6pm on weekdays and free all day on weekends
    Be careful at weekends though, as there is a limit of 2 hours free parking on Saturday AND Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by nex View Post
    Hi! It's great to know that you've enjoyed your stay in Wellington and that is a lot of places you have explored! We just arrived recently too and I don't think we have been to that many places yet. Probably because we had returned our car We're looking to buy a 2nd hand one so we could drive out to explore the hills! We live near the harbourside market and I love going there every sunday! The veges are cheaper than New World and maybe fresher too. Contrary to your experience, we've tried Hell pizza but not Heaven and it's not bad. We're planning to stay here for at least a couple of years so if you do make the move, we could meet up.
    sure thing! i will drop you a message so we can meet up.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Best burgers are Burger Fuel. Although Portlander does $10 takeaway or $12 dine in burgers for lunch

Don't forget free CBD parking doesn't start until 8pm on Fridays.

Best variety of Asian style foods (and cheap) is around the Cuba Quarter. I can also recommend The Ramen Shop. It's a pop up ramen shop only open on Mondays in the side entrance of Pickle (corner of Kent Terrace and Marjoribanks St). They use the kitchen while Pickle is shut. Absolutely fabulous ramen. Run by a Japanese and a kiwi chef, it's traditional ramen wi a kiwi twist. Really works! Cash only.

Default Steel

Having seen steel framed buildings being erected around my district I'd have some serious concerns over the longevity of these structures. They are operating on the theory that building permits are valid for 30 years. All buildings will let water in over their lifetime. Bit scared really. The NZ experiment. Then they go oh well that didn't work. Next. Oh. My job is dealing with the aftermath. In the throughs of replacing numerous finger jointed barges. About 30yrs old and rotten. Push a finger through them welcome to nz building. I do repairs. I guess that's the cap way. Build stuff to last and there's no work for the likes of me.

Glad you enjoyed Wellington and great informative post for those who don't know the city - it's great to see different peoples perspective on it!
    If you liked it cold and after a storm just wait till you see in on a warm day with a blue sky, you'll be hooked!
    Look us up for a drink when you arrive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12