Thread: partnership visa?

Default partnership visa?

Hello,
    I am a middle-aged Canadian and I would like to move to nz to live permanently with my Kiwi bf
    He meets the eligibility to support my application.
    How do I best go about this?

Move to NZ as a visitor (up to 9 months visa) and apply for a partnership visa once there?
    How do I acquire the 12 months of living together to apply ?
    I will need to ship my dog (I have started her vaccines and titers) so I really want the best way of proceeding to ensure we can stay once we arrive.

I am guessing I can't send over a container of belongings until I have residency (to avoid duty) ?
    Also I am guessing I can't start the process from here as we have only visited each other over the last two years and our visits only total a few months. Would there be any benefit to him moving here for a few months to increase our living time together before I go there??

Any suggestions how we can best go about this?
    thanks

Hello.

How do I acquire the 12 months of living together to apply ?
    Have a look here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm You can use a partner-sponsored work visa to build up the 12 months' evidence that you need to go for partner-sponsored Residence. Although no amount of time is specified in the instructions, from people's experiences they have shared here, in practice it seems that around three months is the amount of evidence that INZ looks on happily for this visa. If your partner was able to spend that time with you in Canada, you could apply from there, and travel when the formalities for you AND the dog are done. Or you could go as a visitor, as you suggest, with the dog, and apply from within NZ when once you have enough partnership proof.

Here's the place to look for details of importing anything - there are some concessions, but the main ones are for incoming migrants (those with Residence or a long work visa). http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...s/default.aspx

Hello,
    You have definitely done the right thing getting started early with the veterinary work for your dog. NZ is very strict so make sure you get all the paperwork and vaccinations done correctly.

Good luck!