Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: with job offer, expected start date mid-august 2013. should i proceed w/ the eoi?

Default with job offer, expected start date mid-august 2013. should i proceed w/ the eoi?

hi all,

would just like to get an opinion here.
    i have received a job offer from a company in auckland. the job offer expects me to be able to start working by mid-august (next month).
    i have my eoi ready for submission already but would like to inquire from anyone's opinion if it's still worth pursuing.

i know that the eoi selection process (even w/ job offer) would take plus/minus 6 months or more which by then, the job offer would've expired already.

thanks

you apply for a temp work visa these can be turned around quite quickly (ours was 2 weeks) at the same time submit your Eoi then you can start work when required, our temp work visa was for 2 years so did not have to worry re schools or health etc

@janey, that was my initial plan... but my employer is not able to provide me w/ the employer supplement form.

You can do EOI regardless of applying for work visa or not. At this point, you should go ahead with apply for work visa as something to fall back on if you really want to start work in mid Aug. Try pushing the employer for the employer supplement form. If they can't or won't give you one, perhaps you should think twice about the company.
    Last edited by breeze; 12th July 2013 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by praetorean View Post
    @janey, that was my initial plan... but my employer is not able to provide me w/ the employer supplement form.
    is not ABLE or is not WILLING? If they want you to work for them they HAVE to fill this form out, it is a simple form and it just verifies what is in the supplementary work visa application that you have to submit. I agree with breeze, if they are not willing to fill out this form then look elsewhere

thanks y'all... one of the reasons they are not able to provide the supplementary form (INZ1113) is because there is a clause under section c which they have to provide info like if they have actively recruited locally i.e. engaged recruitment agencies, published the vacancy and etc which they have not. here's a snippet of their reply when i asked for the supplement form:
    Basically section C of the form indicates that I have unsuccessfully advertised in various different media streams for an intermediate c# developer and have not been able to fill the position by anyone in New Zealand. This is not actually the case. I have not placed an advertisement with an agency, nor approached the MSD, nor looked to train internally. Unfortunately I also have several resumes from NZ residents that could possibly be a good fit. Discussions with Immigration indicates that should I fill this form out accurately, it would not support your application in a favourable way.
    @breeze; actually i am having 2nd thoughts already. they could've just provided me the form & left it to INZ to make the call whether to approve the visa or not. as for the EOI, i could actually proceed but the concern i have is that; with the EOI processing timeline, i won't make the august availability. if INZ verifies w/ the company and finds out that the job offer is no longer valid, then my EOI/SMC application may be rescinded or i might end up in NZ w/ no job.

@elasmo1; you and breeze have a point. it's just that, we have come so close... only to loose it...

Things happen for a reason and it may be a blessing in disguise. There could be a number of reasons why they chose you than a local who is already there. Reputation, cost, network, etc. If it's because it's cheaper to hire someone overseas at a lower salary, it will not make you feel good when you find out AND it will spoil your own market.

I wonder, perhaps others can advise, whether you should still do the EOI and claim points for job offer. After all, you did have a job offer although you may or may not work for them. Between now and mid Aug, the job is valid. The best outcome is that you get Residence by mid Aug. The worst is, it takes another 1.5 years before you hear anything from INZ.

Question is, do you still want to move to NZ eventually? And do you have more than 100 points if without job offer?
    Last edited by breeze; 13th July 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Being in the industry (IT/ASP.NET/C#), I know many of the .NET shops in Auckland. You could PM me instead of posting here, what is the company name and salary offer, I'll let know know what I know/have heard about them and/or if the offer is reasonable...

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    I wonder, perhaps others can advise, whether you should still do the EOI and claim points for job offer. After all, you did have a job offer although you may or may not work for them. Between now and mid Aug, the job is valid. The best outcome is that you get Residence by mid Aug. The worst is, it takes another 1.5 years before you hear anything from INZ.
    That is the concern, coz INZ may take longer to process the EOI. And by the time they look into my ITA, the job offer may already be overdue

Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    Question is, do you still want to move to NZ eventually? And do you have more than 100 points if without job offer?
    I am very much interested in moving to NZ. I think I can get 100 points w/o a job offer, it's just that a job offer gives you better leverage of getting selected.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    Being in the industry (IT/ASP.NET/C#), I know many of the .NET shops in Auckland. You could PM me instead of posting here, what is the company name and salary offer, I'll let know know what I know/have heard about them and/or if the offer is reasonable...
    Thanks, I am pretty sure the offer is within the market range in NZ.

please go with work visa first and work out with your residency later when you're in nz. it only took me two months to get my resident visa approval from resident visa application to AIP. you can't expect your resident visa get approved in just a month (august)

by the way, i asked for employer supplementary form and they gave it to me together with job offer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast