Thread: Scratching our heads, can anyone help?

Default Scratching our heads, can anyone help?

My OH has been told that his NZ employer wants him within 12 weeks tops and as we haven't got passports yet it looks like just doing a skilled migrant visa alone is out the question. We're trying to decide between the two options:

A. Apply for temporary work visa for him, partnership visa for me, student visa for 1 child and visitor visas for 2 younger kids. Also, apply for skilled migrant visa alongside all this, without the pressing worry of how long it takes to come through.

B. Apply for a work to residence visa for him (his employer is accredited), and all the subsequent visas for me and kids, and then wait 2 years to go for residency.

I've called the embassy who strongly recommended B for the fact it is easier and cheaper. The thought of not having the security of residency for 2 years though makes me feel anxious so even given the complications we're still tempted to go for A.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I have 3 questions which I forgot to ask on the phone and wondered if anyone knew:

- The embassy said if we go for WTR, the kids' visitors visas will last for the duration of the WTR visa and we will get a waiver meaning they won't need return flights. Does anybody know if this is also the case if we went for option A?
    - If we go for WTR, I know my OH will have to apply for a Residence from Work visa at the end of the 2 years. Can we all be included on that or will we have to apply for separate residence class visas, and if so what are they?
    - If we go for WTR, do the migrant levies need paying at the beginning of the process or at the end when full residency is being applied for? (I assume the medicals and police checks are needed at the outset?)
    Last edited by Holy Moly; 13th July 2013 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moly View Post
    Does anyone have any thoughts? I have 3 questions which I forgot to ask on the phone and wondered if anyone knew:

- The embassy said if we go for WTR, the kids' visitors visas will last for the duration of the WTR visa and we will get a waiver meaning they won't need return flights. Does anybody know if this is also the case if we went for option A?
    - If we go for WTR, I know my OH will have to apply for a Residence from Work visa at the end of the 2 years. Can we all be included on that or will we have to apply for separate residence class visas, and if so what are they?
    - If we go for WTR, do the migrant levies need paying at the beginning of the process or at the end when full residency is being applied for? (I assume the medicals and police checks are needed at the outset?)
    - The only way to be sure is if your visa states 'Return/onward ticket not required’ but generally any visa 12 months or more won't require return flights to be booked (as you aren't able to book flights more than 1 year in advance).

- You would all apply together as part of residence.

- You pay the migrant levy after residence has been granted.

How much salary will your OH be earning? If it is over $90K then be aware that going via WTR will get you Permanent residence after 2 years and not just residence.

Ian