Thread: wardrobe height !!

Default wardrobe height !!

Just was wondering if anyone faced this problem. I have a wardrobe from IKEA which is not standard in height, it is coming at 236 Cms, here in Dubai, flats have a height of are 3-3.5 mtrs. so that was not a problem here. My question, will this be an issue if I bring over this wardrobe ? I tried figuring it out myself by googling and stuff, but no luck !!

I think you would be lucky to find that height in a bedroom except in some of the older villa style houses. Standard room height is (I think) 7'6" which comes out just under 230cm.

Also consider that other access may be difficult with something that size. It won't go through a doorway without lying it down and at that length it won't go around many corners either. It may take a room considerably over its height to be able to stand it back up.
    Last edited by mylesdw; 16th July 2013 at 10:26 AM.

and fitted cupboards are pretty standard here so even if it fits you might not need it...

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by doreysc View Post
    and fitted cupboards are pretty standard here so even if it fits you might not need it...

Simon
    Thanks for the feedback

doreysc: Are they standard in all houses? I have not seen them in all ads I have checked online, I would say from what I have seen online, it is a 50/50 possibility ? Am I mistaken ? (BTW I am moving to Hamilton)

I personally encountered quite a few houses - not just older villas - that could accommodate your wardrobe.

IMHO the built-in wardrobes here are a wee joke - emphasis on 'wee', i.e. they are just too small.

The two rentals we have had in Auckland had loads of wardrobe space with walk in ones off the main bedroom. Quite big modern houses though, not pokey villas.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by doreysc View Post
    The two rentals we have had in Auckland had loads of wardrobe space with walk in ones off the main bedroom. Quite big modern houses though, not pokey villas.

Simon
    relevant point indeed: built-in wardrobes vs walk-in wardrobes

I brought two wardrobes from the UK, both of which are still in the garage. My house is 16 years old, with a built in cupboard/wardrobe in three bedrooms and a walk in closet to the master.

The other reason wardrobes are not that popular here is that you would have to tether them to the walls, today has been a very shaky day in Wellington

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10900169

and makes you realise you don't want tall heavy furniture that could fall on you in an earthquake.

thank you all for the feedback....

RedVee.. hope that everyone is ok

We don't have built-in wardrobes in our house.