Thread: Is it frowned upon !

Default Is it frowned upon !

Hi
    I have been looking through a few threads ( overloading with info at the moment !) what is the situation with regards to getting a tourist visa and then switching it once in NZ for a ltbv if you are initially unsure of the area in which you want to settle your biz. I know that you can come to the USA and it is possible to then find a biz and change status , however the downside is that you are landlocked. I found a couple of threads here where someone seems to have asked a similar question but I cannot find out what their outcome was or in fact they did end up doing it that way. It is generally frowned on as seen to be "bucking the system"

Hi. As a US Citizen you can travel to NZ for up to 3 months as a tourist. You could also get a Visitor visa for up to a total of 9 months. This would be entirely legitimate if your intention was to familiarise yourself with the country and get a feel for places you would like to be, businesses that seem to be missing etc. However, LTBV can take quite a while to process as there is a lot of work involved in looking at the proposals and judging whether or not the new business would benefit NZ. Hope this helps. karen

Many thanks. We are actually British Citizens and British Passport holders, its just we moved to the USA seven years ago and now have itchy feet again! I have read posts were the LTBV has only taken 3 months from start to finish and am weighing up the pros and cons of doing it from within NZ when there and done and recci or prior to going over. Have 3 long time friends 20 plus years who moved to NZ and have never looked back.

Sorry - only just seen this! So, 6 months without needing a visa then! I think the key factor is ensuring that your business proposal can be seen to benefit New Zealand. There are experts in working with people to provide the right evidence, but, if it were me, I would contact the Buiness Migration Branch of INZ in Wellington once I had some preliminary ideas of my plans. Good luck! Karen

Many thanks, we have the "romantic" notion of hiring a camper and traveling around the Islands to see what is out there/regions etc and see what happens. If it doesnt all pan out then at least we have had a holiday out of it - havent had one in 7 years of being in the USA !!

I have had family that applied for a year visa but it didnt approve until they were on holiday here

The office was amazing, they simply went in, got it stamped and that was that

No border crossings, airports or flights in and out etc