Thread: Second work visa

Default Second work visa

Can I apply for a 2nd work visa when my current visa expires or do I have to leave the country then?

just apply a new one, apply before it expires. but better give immigration a call to give you an advice

You would have to leave the country IF they didn't grant you another work visa, or IF you didn't apply before it ran out.

What kind of work visa do you have? - that may make a difference to the situation about re-applying. For instance, is your employer accredited?

We just have normal work visas and the kids have student visas. My employer is not accredited I dont think. We just cant afford to pay for the residency process at the minute and to be honest we are not completely won over by the country yet so we dont want to spend all that money to find we still don't want to stay in 18 months time. If we like it after 2 years we would like tge option to stay and then apply for permanent residency.

The reason I asked about the work is that all work visas are linked to your job. A lot of people get their visa because the job is on one of the INZ skills in demand lists. However, what careers are on these lists changes from time to time (for instance, teachers aren't on the list any more, because they decided enough NZ nationals are now trained up to fill the vacancies), therefore, it CAN happen that someone was granted a visa x years ago, then, although they want to stay and their employer wants them to stay, when they ask for another visa, INZ can say, 'No, a New Zealander could do that job.' If an employer is accredited, they can sponsor you for a visa without reference to the skills lists.