Thread: Student Visa Onward Travel

Default Student Visa Onward Travel

I've looked around, but I'm not able to find the answer to my question, so I'm hoping someone can help me out, or at least point me in the right direction.

My oldest daughter will be coming over soon on a student visa. I'm trying to sort out plane tickets, and I was curious if she will require a return ticket or not. She'll be a domestic student because of my visa (work-partnership), if that makes a difference. I know Immigration says proof of funds/sponsor agrees to pay for onward transportation, but what will the visa itself say so that I can satisfy Air NZ's requirements for one-way ticket? Thanks in advance!

How long is the student visa for?

In my experience, if the visa does not require a return ticket, it will be explicitly indicated in the visa conditions such as "Return/Onward Ticket not required". Otherwise, you might need to provide one.

JandM, it will be good through March 2014. I'm applying for residence for the two of us this December, and will reapply for for our other visas until it's approved.

Anonimoose, that's what my visa states, and that's what I'm wanting to know...will hers state onward travel not required.

I don't KNOW, but I suspect that, as this visa is for a length of time shorter than 12 months, it will require a return ticket or onward travel. (The ones that are for twelve months or more say 'no onward travel required' or similar wording because it's not possible to book an air ticket more than a year ahead.) The best way to be sure is to ask the INZ office you're dealing with.

Thanks so much for that! I'll to confirm!