Thread: Transfering resident visa to new passport

Default Transfering resident visa to new passport

Hi,

I am bound for my first resident visa NZ entry this 30th August but it will be just for 1 week (visit/exploring) because i haven't really settle everything back home. Now here is my dilemma.

My passport will expire on 17th of March 2014 and i am making my first entry on the 30th August 2013. Now the gap between 30th August 2013 and to 17th March 2014 is around 6 months. After my first entry for a week, will return back to my country and i will re-enter again NZ and this time it will be permanent around end of February 2014 with my new passport. Now i know there are some ruling in some country that if your passport has about 6 months left to expiry, they won't let you in. Will i fall into this case for NZ? I plan to renew my password and transfer the resident visa to the new passport but after my first visit first to NZ. Just afraid they will detain me at NZ immigration and deport me back because of my 6 months span until the expiry.

Also another question, been looking up at INZ website looking for information about transferring resident visa to new passport and found this link

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1137

Looks like i will need to pay a fee every time to transfer to the new passport. Now i wonder why can't they do it like Australia? My sister is a PR in Australia and when her original passport expires that has the PR sticker on it, all she has to do is renew the passport. There is no need to transfer the PR sticker to the new passport. She just have to show the immigration person her old passport with the PR sticker and the new passport, that will do. That method used was like 5-8 years ago. Now my sister don't even need to bring the old passport with the PR sticker on it. Just show the new passport to the immigration person and when they scan the passport with their system, they will know she is a PR (still valid) and will let her through.

Any comments would be nice, thanks
    Last edited by barney; 19th July 2013 at 04:45 PM.

Yes, you have to pay a fee in New Zealand to transfer the visa sticker into your new passport. It is just how they do it here.