Thread: New Zealand passport

Red face New Zealand passport

Hi guys. I'm new to the group so please be gentle lol.

My question is... My fiancé is a New Zealander and our four year old (joseph) now has a New Zealand passport by descent. As we are living in Australia that's great for them as the can stay without problems and can apply for residency and eventually Australian Citizenship. I however am a British Citizen on a 461 visa which is ok for now but I need 'certainty'.

Now the real question. Can I get a New Zealand passport because I am Joseph's mummy. It would help me get PR much easier and means I will not have to worry about having to leave at any time because I'm from the UK.

I do know that I can get PR in New Zealand immediately because my partner has been away for 5 years if we move there but it all seems so hard when although I love NZ Australia is now my home.

I'm not looking for a free ride just want to ensure that my son can live here as the quality of life is so much better for him than in the UK and I don't want to have to go back purely because of my residency issue.

Thank you in advance.

Now the real question. Can I get a New Zealand passport because I am Joseph's mummy. It would help me get PR much easier and means I will not have to worry about having to leave at any time because I'm from the UK.
    No, there's no route into NZ citizenship based on having produced a Kiwi.

But I think you've missed something vital - you don't have to live in NZ in order to get your NZ PR. See F2.5.1 here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42627.htm

Last time I was looked, only NZ citizens are eligible to be in Australia with the special category visa. NZ residents are still required to obtain visas based on their passport nationality. Your visa is the one based on being a partner of a NZ citizen, correct? It's good for 5 years and you can reapply, if it's the one I'm thinking of. Has your partner looked into obtaining Australian residency? That seems to be the best way to obtain Australian residency for you. You can reapply for your current type visa as needed until it was approved.
    Last edited by Auburn; 21st July 2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: stupid phone...