Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the move - Airline Baggage Allowance

Default Making the move - Airline Baggage Allowance

Hello All,

I am planning to make a move to Nz soon, explored previous questions on baggage allowance in the forum, apologies if I am asking the same question again.

As I understand, Singapore Airline provides baggage allowance to immigrants traveling to Nz for first time.

Are there any other airline's, flying out of India, who provides baggage allowance ?

Any inputs will be appreciated.

I flew Singapore Airlines on my first flight and didn't get any extra baggage allowance. Fortunately, I had an offer email from my daughter's school and got an extra 10kg for that.

Malaysian airlines allowance is 30kg.

http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/trans...-migrants.html

From what we've heard on the threads, the airlines each have their own rules about this, and the rules change from time to time, so it's a good idea to query the point specifically with each airline you might book with. Also, when you get a response allowing you some extra baggage, specifically ask the person to enter it in the computer along with your booking, AND to send you a letter, or an email you can print off, confirming the arrangement, which you can show at baggage check-in, since the people there all tend to go ONLY by the familiar normal rules.

Hi All,

I have received emails from two airlines, Singapore and Malaysian.
    Singapore Airline states, they provide 40 Kg baggage allowance for check-in baggage and 7 Kg for hand baggage.
    Malaysian Airlines states, for immigration purpose, one need to purchase "migration ticket" and they too provide 40 Kgs as baggage allowance.

I am not clear what is ment by migration ticket ? have asked the airline to provide clarification, does anyone here aware of the same ?

So you really get around 42kg each and if you have a few people traveling, that adds up. I always pack 21 or 22 kg on a 20kg allowance (per bag). And just smile and be really nice to the officer at the check-in counter.

I won't say this is a guaranteed passage but... if you really need to stuff that last towel or toy in, remember to be really extra nice and patient at the counter.

Hi,

I bought one way tickets with Singapore airways due to their generous baggage allowance but when I asked them to confirm by email they said it was only for visas for permanent migration. I will have a work to residence visa which is technically temporary. I'll be emailing them again to check but thinks this means I will only get the standard 20kg hold baggage. Anyone else got the extra with a temp visa?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtBag View Post
    Hi,

I bought one way tickets with Singapore airways due to their generous baggage allowance but when I asked them to confirm by email they said it was only for visas for permanent migration. I will have a work to residence visa which is technically temporary. I'll be emailing them again to check but thinks this means I will only get the standard 20kg hold baggage. Anyone else got the extra with a temp visa?
    Based on my discussion with Singapore Airline personnel, any 1 way ticket booked is provided 40 Kgs baggage allowance.

Please get such a notification in writing if possible. Singapore Airlines will have an extra baggage allowance policy but this is subject to change by how much it remains. They really cannot guarantee you a confirmed number because it simply depends on how many people book the flight and how much baggage they bring over. I would say if they can confirm you a 30kg (which is usually the standard for most people who are migrants) then it is probably good enough because if you add all the total number of passengers traveling together, it is still quite generous.

I agree with batgirl, one need to have written communication from airline on baggage allowance. Another point I will like to bring on the table is, the baggage allowance policies varies based on countries, its best to get in touch with airline office in the country from where you decide to start your journey.

For one way ticket on temporary visa, check if your visa label has a line that says something like "no return ticket is required". If there isn't a line like that, do check with INZ whether you'd get into trouble in the check-in counter - ask them to either replace your label to include that line or write you a letter saying it's ok for you to have a one-way ticket.

When we were on work visa, my partner had that line and somehow I didn't. I kept getting into trouble checking in (twice!). The check-in officer in Singapore called Auckland INZ to verify! I had to explain to the INZ officer that I'm aware my visa is expiring soon but I was also applying for Residence; AND I will renew my work visa before it expires if Residence application were still under review then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast