Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your First Meal in Wellington - Where!?!

McDonald's lol. A friend of mine drove to that place to grab some breakfast meal. Jump to courtenay place or cuba st, heaps of choices.

Try the Gas-Works , its a Pub /Diner. Approx $20 per meal, try the venison burger , its Ace, child menu's as well. Its also wise to pre book for the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcombers View Post
    You are all going to be knackered! Hell's Pizza's all round and grab a good bottle of NZ Pinot to wash it down.
    I agree!! Even without kids, you're going to be knackered.

When we first arrived in Wellington, we tried the fish & chips at Cafe 162 in Karori which is just nice, though I still prefer Trawling Seafood Market's fish & chips. Also tried Heaven Pizza in Cuba Street and it's good.

For fast eats, try the stalls at Harbourside Sunday Market at Cable Street.

We planned to go to Valentines Buffet Petone but cancelled the last minute because of weather conditions.

With three children, after a long flight and wanting to get a good first glimpse of your new home?

I'd head for Fisherman's table on Oriental Parade. The 24 bus hugs the coastline around Evans Bay Parade, into Oriental Parade and into Oriental Bay. Just over 20 mins from Mirimar plus a walk to the bus stop depending on where you live. Restaurant has good views across Wellington Harbour. OK fish n chips (stay away from non fish dishes - not their forte), includes a decent salad bar. It is quite old fashioned in decor but views make up for it, you can get a booth as a family and if you want to take in the scenery a good first route by public transport. And I would advise NOT staying in for a 2 p.m. arrival - going out will help you avoid the urge of going to sleep by 5 p.m. If you land at 2 it will be more like 4.30 p.m. by the time you are ready to head back out after dropping off your suitcases.

I'd save the special occasion venue for another time. And get the Entertainment book - or two, one in your name and one for your partner. With three kids you will easily recoup the outlay.

So once you have recovered from the jet lag, here are some nice, child-friendly places to eat in Wellington, in no particular order or preference, just as they popped into my head:

Heaven pizza on cuba street. (I think they do a special prize for margerita pizzas one lunchtime a week, think it is monday but not sure)
    Scopa pizza on cuba street ($8 margerita pizzas on Tuesday lunch)
    Maranui cafe, lyall bay
    cafe l'affare, college street (opposite the moore wilson supermarket, great place to stock up on bulk groceries, nice food, and kitchen stuff)
    chocolate fish cafe, shelly bay
    scorching bay cafe doesn't do the best coffee in town but it is handily placed next to a beach (which used to be a lot sandier before the recent mid-winter storm which rearranged the beaches quite a lot).

As for fish and chips, don't bother with the Fisherman's table restaurant on Oriental parade. The one on Cuba street does good fish and chips.
    Any more recommendations just ask. And get yourself an entertainment book full of discount vouchers, you will save loads.

Ha ha, cross posted there, we had an awful meal when we first came here at the fisherman's table! I don't know any 'locals' who eat there to be honest.

I agree FT is not fine dining. But as a reasonably child friendly, OK ish food place with a stunning route via public transport, and a good view when you get there is has something going for it. There are so many better food places, in fact its hard to get rubbish food in Wellington, but would probably need a taxi to get to. for example, I love Boulcott Street Bistro, and the Crazy Horse Steakhouse on Willis is one of my other favourites. But expensive + less child friendly and probably a taxi ride from Mirimar.

One Red Dog is full of families in the early evening and has proximity to the harbour. Personally, I'm staying away from anything built on reclaimed land just at the moment.

We ate at the Fisherman's Table on Oriental Parade when we stayed in Wellington, recommended by the people we stayed with for nice atmosphere and fabulous views. They were right - and the food was good quality even if not highly inventive.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

You'll be knackered on night one! But in Miramar, if you do manage to stay up, I'd try La Boca Loca (truly authentic Mexican) or Gasworks. I wouldn't bother getting on a bus. The Ekim Burger van at Lyall Bay is amazing.

As you can tell from the varied replies above, Wellington has an abundance of eating choices. I second getting an Entertainment Book - we've had one every year since moving here. BOGOF deals on restaurants, discounts on attractions and retail, and accommodation and care hire etc. $60 for a year's worth of bargains. We use it to try all sorts of new places.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast