Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new zealand citizen came into country on us passport

Default new zealand citizen came into country on us passport

I'm a new Zealand citizen with an expired new Zealand passport (over 2 years expired)

I came back desperate to get away from the states.

I need to know what my steps to securing residency. Id like to get a HANZ 18+ id card.

I have a valid drivers licence id but my license is suspended. Will they be able to see this also?

Going back to the states really isn't an option right now. I basically lost everything sold my possession. Bought a round trip ticket so I didn't have problems in customs.

Advise?!

Hi there,

Do you have an endorsement in your US passport saying that you are a NZ citizen? Were you admitted into NZ as a citizen of New Zealand?(Generally, you go through the queue reserved for NZ citizens and residents at the airport while entering the country).

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/1171

I would recommend you go to Immigration New Zealand to confirm with them your admission status into the country. i.e. if you were admitted as a citizen or on a visa (if somehow that maybe the case, which it will not be). They would have you in their record.

As a New Zealand citizen though, you have the right to be here and do whatever you want. You can most definitely apply for a HANZ 18+ id card by just popping into a post shop and filling out forms. You're expired passport should be good enough to prove that you are a citizen/legally here, and eligible to apply for it. You should also go and talk to the transport authority for your driving licence and I am sure they'll be able to accommodate your situation somehow.

All the best.
    Last edited by dreammerchant; 30th July 2013 at 11:13 AM.

could I enter threw nz with an expired nz passport and citizenship certificate? Would the be enough to get threw the nz immigration line?

No endorcment on my us passport. I don't have time to renew my nz passport. (I'm in the airport now...) So unless my expired nz passport and citizen certificate are enough to pass threw nz immigrations line I'll be entering on a us passport
    Last edited by bimmerfan; 30th July 2013 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfan View Post
    could I enter threw nz with an expired nz passport and citizenship certificate are enough to get threw the nz immigration line?

No enforcement on my us passport. I don't have time to renew my nz passport. (I'm in the airport now...) So unless my expired nz passport and citizen certificate are enough to pass threw nz immigrations line I'll be entering on a us passport
    Yes, a proof of New Zealand citizenship is enough for you to gain entry into the country and you may go through the queue reserved for Kiwis, but since you don't have a NZ passport, expect massive delays. They would need to verify your citizenship with Department of internal affairs first before they let you in and this might take a long time (maybe not if you're lucky).

Would it be worth the wait? What would be my advantages entering as an nz citizen vs entering as an us citizen

I need the fastest way to secure residency.
    Last edited by bimmerfan; 30th July 2013 at 11:31 AM.

First of all, you should forget the term "residency" as you are a NZ citizen and have the right to be here at anytime. If you enter on your US passport, that essentially means you are entering as a foreigner (which you are actually not) on a visa, and so you may then have to go to Immigration New Zealand later to get your status updated/corrected which might be a huge hassle.

If they admit you as a citizen then you wouldn't have to do anything. So, tell them you're a kiwi and provide them with your citizenship certificate/expired passport and they will sort you out.
    Last edited by dreammerchant; 30th July 2013 at 11:39 AM.

Call the NZ embassy. I am sure they will advise you.

Let us know how it goes.

Your right! Sorry I'm rushing to type this up on my android. I appreciate your quick replys!

So from what I'm gathering if I'm looking to stay in nz I'm better off trying to enter as a kiwi?

My flight leaves in 6 hours.

What should my steps be once im in nz.

Well, you didn't really describe your situation very well in your opening question telling where exactly you are at the moment.

When you land at the airport and arrive at the immigration queues, there should be an officer there guiding people which queue to join (foreign passport holders queue or New Zealand citizens/residents queue). You should tell that officer that you are a dual NZ/USA citizen, but you do not have a valid NZ passport. They would probably take you aside and verify your details and land you. If you don't see an officer before the queues, find one you can talk to before you get into any queues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast