Thread: 60,000 NZ$ is it enough in Palmerston for family of 2 adult and 2 children

Default 60,000 NZ$ is it enough in Palmerston for family of 2 adult and 2 children

Hi,

I got job offer from a company in Palmerston for position of Automation Engineer. They are offering me 60,000 NZ$ with out tax deduction.

Could any body guide me that is it ok or I can negotiate more?

What is reasonable salary range?

Thanks
    agha

I doubt that it will be enough - living in the countryside. Palmerston has not that much to offer so you would need going to Dunedin frequently.

Do you not think the OP means Palmerston North?

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Do you not think the OP means Palmerston North?
    That has my bet also.

It depends on how much money (and stuff) you are bringing with you. If you have to pay rent or a mortgage (both of which will be cheaper than many other places in NZ), $60,000 will be a stretch. If you have to buy a car and furnish a house with your earnings here, I would call it close to impossible. There are certainly people living in Palmerston who live on less, but then again there are people in third world countries living on $8 a month.

Would have to agree - $120K would be a stretch for 2 adults and 2 kids, if you want to enjoy the lifestyle.

I would not want to live on that amount esp with kids. You need to renegotiate if you can, maybe $80-90k? At the least.....
    Last edited by Hagabel; 5th August 2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agha77 View Post
    Hi,

I got job offer from a company in Palmerston for position of Automation Engineer. They are offering me 60,000 NZ$ with out tax deduction.

Could any body guide me that is it ok or I can negotiate more?

What is reasonable salary range?

Thanks
    agha
    Not to be purposefully contrary to the answers already given but yes, I believe you can live on 60K a year. Whether or not that is reasonable for your position or negotiable, I do not know. Having no clue as to your lifestyle and situation, I can't tell you whether or not it will feel like sacrifice or not, but it is possible. It won't be an elaborate life with lots of eating out or holidays away. Certainly, 80-120K would make your life much easier but 60K is possible. I actually have the opposite opinion to the previous one that states that it would be harder because you are in rural NZ, even if you are talking about Palmerston on the SI, your need to travel to Dunedin often seems doubtful to me. It would require you embracing a rural NZ lifestyle but then you won't need as much money. If you are talking about Palmerston North, I'm sure there are outlying areas that are more affordable than others. I don't think you'd want to live forever on 60K as there won't be much left for savings but it's possible to live on that amount of money as a start. If you have savings to help you with the expenses that arise the first few months, that will make it easier.
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 6th August 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Dear All,

Thanks for your opinions.

Best Regards,