Thread: Sky TV - is my UK box compatible?

Default Sky TV - is my UK box compatible?

Does anyone know if I can I use my UK Sky digibox in NZ? Have they got Sky+ yet?

Cheers
    Billy

We would also be interested in this question if anyone can shed any light, as we have just cancelled our sky subscription and been told the box and dish is ours. So please any of you out there who know the answer let us know

I couldn't live without a PVR. Since no Tivo there was considering Sky+. Now I hear they may not have Sky+! :eek

Someone please tell me I can get some kind of good hard disk based PVR there...

Cheers,

Yogi

I've had an answer from Sky NZ, and it's bad news:

Good Morning Billy,

The British Sky box is not compatible with the NZ SKY service and cannot be used here. Your television will need to be PAL compatible and you will only be able to view the free to air channels through our SKY digital service as we transmit on a different frequency in New Zealand; your VCR will only play pre-recorded tapes for the same reason and any DVD's will need to be multi-zones as we are classed as zone 4. We are currently looking into be able to offer digi + and PVR but this probably won't be available for another 12 months.

If you log onto the following site: www.skytv.co.nz all the joining details and channel that we have can be viewed.

We operate a totally different set up here in New Zealand where customers are basically renting the equipment, rather than purchasing. Also please remember that we are only a small company compared to BSKYB and we are unable, due to sheer economics to be able to deliver all that BSKYB have on offer!

Regards,

Jill Dicken,
    Programming Liaison Officer.