Thread: Whenuapi (Auckland) vs Ohakea (Palmerston North) any advice welcome

Default Whenuapi (Auckland) vs Ohakea (Palmerston North) any advice welcome

Hi All

I am hoping that someone may be able to offer advice. We are looking at the two possible locations - I have never been to either locations, but I have been offered work - which is the better of the two regarding area, cost of living, etc etc. Also my partner and I are keen mountain bikers and ski ers. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Unfortunately I would have to say you are better off in Palmerston North because although PN is not exactly a town where people have gushed about living there, it has proximity to some great outdoor areas. You might find that in addition to skiing, cycling, there are other opportunities to develop many kinds of outdoor pursuits like climbing, rafting, caving etc as well. I gather you will be working in a airbase? There are many opportunities to take to the skies as well as Feilding which is not too far away from PN is well known for that.

Hi Batgirl

Thank you for giving me an insight into PN - although ive done a little research myself its really helpful to gather info from someone who has experienced different areas of living in NZ for themselves. Ive been looking at housing costs too, and it would seem that housing is more affordable in PN. I am also keen to have a go at rafting and my partner wants to try pot holing too. Thanks again for your input, much appreciated

Yes cost of living in PN is lower but usually you will have your salary adjusted as well as the case if you had decided on Auckland. Buying a house in Auckland would be very expensive but renting isn't generally provided you don't have high expectations. The gist of the matter is that PN is closer to all the things you want for outdoor pursuits, not that Auckland doesn't have it, but it would take you 6 hours to drive to Ruapehu to ski if you are passionate about it.