Thread: Some various questions

Default Some various questions

Hey Folks, I’ve got a bunch of questions I’m looking for input on. Instead of spamming the forum with multiple threads I’ll just list them off here.

1. Visa’s – Been approached by a recruiter with an employer that wants to fill a position quickly. They would prefer to have me apply for a WTR permit instead of a SMC. That’s all fine and dandy for me but the rest of the family would have come in on a family stream (again all fine and dandy). My wife is a stay at home mum since we have 3 small boys. Stands to reason she would get a visitor’s visa but we may opt for a working one in case she decides to return to the work force. We have a 10 month old so he’s a visitor no question. We have a 6 year old entering year 1 so he’s a student visa. Again a no brainer. The issue is my 3 year old. He’ll be 5 before the 24 month period that I can apply for residency on. He should be in school when he turns 5. Do I put him on a visitor and apply to change to student prior to him turning 5? Once we have residency the point it moot but there will be a few months of overlay. Any other drawbacks to WTR vs SMC I may have overlooked?

2. Schooling – So on WTR my 6 year old will be on a student visa and will be accepted into a primary school as a domestic student. If we wanted to send his younger brother on a visitor visa to pre-school would we have to pay the whole amount out of pocket instead of the hours above 20 per week the government covers for residents?

3. Recruiter– The job I’ve applied for and had a good interview with is based in Auckland. The recruiter said prior to the interview that there are a multitude of opportunities in Christchurch if this job falls through. Most of the adverts I have seen in CHCH seem to be looking for people already in country with residency and such so I’m not sure if the recruiter is over stating things. My field is in engineering and with the rebuild I know my position is in demand. I’m just not sure if companies are seriously looking at bringing in people from abroad or if the recruiter thinks he can talk a company into it. Do most recruiters work at finding people for positions or positions for people? Seems to me if the recruiter approaches a company it drastically effects my ability to negotiate salary and relocation costs.

4. Finances – Trying to get a handle on the cost of living. When I calculate the minimum salary I THINK is acceptable it works out to be about 1150 per week take home after taxes and such. From my narrow minded view of costs in Auckland this seems adequate. With a 450 PW rental this would leave 700pw for everything else. We aren’t frugal nor spend thrifts either. We are currently choosy on food shopping and base our meals around what’s on sale and what’s in season. We seldom eat out and enjoy a bottle of wine after 2 weeks or so. Do people think this is reasonable for a family of 5? I don’t want to push the employer too hard on salary since I’m already planning on discussing relocation costs

Just a couple of comments:

Re: 3: What specialty of engineering, and what qualification? There are indeed lots of opportunities in Christchurch, and some firms have been recruiting from overseas, but it's geotechnical and structural engineers that are most in demand. My thoughts regarding (many) recruiters in NZ are better left unsaid in a public forum -- you're better off approaching employers directly, IMHO. If you'd like some suggestions, wait until you've enough posts and PM me.

Re: 4: I think you need to seriously rework your budget -- to find a nice rental for $450 to suit a family of 5, you'll be commuting from Hamilton. Seriously, $700 per week is probably more realistic for the rental cost projection, so -- at a bare minimum -- you'd need to add $250 a week to your net wages to approach a reasonable standard of living.

Specialty is structural steel connection design. So certainly would make sense to be in demand.

The Auckland job is in Henderson so I've been keeping an ey on properties in that direction. They seem to be running in the 400-550 range.

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    Just a couple of comments:

Re: 3: What specialty of engineering, and what qualification? There are indeed lots of opportunities in Christchurch, and some firms have been recruiting from overseas, but it's geotechnical and structural engineers that are most in demand. My thoughts regarding (many) recruiters in NZ are better left unsaid in a public forum -- you're better off approaching employers directly, IMHO. If you'd like some suggestions, wait until you've enough posts and PM me.

Re: 4: I think you need to seriously rework your budget -- to find a nice rental for $450 to suit a family of 5, you'll be commuting from Hamilton. Seriously, $700 per week is probably more realistic for the rental cost projection, so -- at a bare minimum -- you'd need to add $250 a week to your net wages to approach a reasonable standard of living.

1. Visa’s – Been approached by a recruiter with an employer that wants to fill a position quickly. They would prefer to have me apply for a WTR permit instead of a SMC.
    Very understandable - a WTR could be processed quite a lot more quickly, so you should be able to get there and work all the sooner.
    My wife is a stay at home mum since we have 3 small boys. Stands to reason she would get a visitor’s visa but we may opt for a working one in case she decides to return to the work force.
    No, it doesn't stand to reason - it's better 'status' for all sorts of things to be a (potential) worker rather than a visitor.
    We have a 10 month old so he’s a visitor no question. We have a 6 year old entering year 1 so he’s a student visa. Again a no brainer.
    Yes, and yes.
    The issue is my 3 year old. He’ll be 5 before the 24 month period that I can apply for residency on. He should be in school when he turns 5. Do I put him on a visitor and apply to change to student prior to him turning 5?
    Yes, visitor first, then change it as he comes up to five.

If you are going for the accredited employer WTR visa your wife should be able to get a work visa to match the length of your visa, with no need for a return ticket. This is definitely the route to follow, rather than a visitors visa. She doesn't have to work, but if she wanted to could do any job at all.

Just a thought...You can apply for a WTR and SMC at the same time using most of the same docs/medicals so might be worth considering. That's what we did and it worked out really well. We now have the security of being able to move jobs etc.