Thread: Change jobs while waiting for PR

Default Change jobs while waiting for PR

Hi,

I've been in NZ for just over 18 months now, living with my Kiwi wife and her kids. I've been on a work visa so far and just recently submitted my application for permanent residence based on partnership. Just yesterday we got our passports and stuff back with a letter saying that a CO will be assigned within 3 - 6 months.

I'm not really happy in my current position and had been thinking of moving on, but thought I could wait it out until I get PR. Got to the office this morning to find an email with some organisational decisions that I don't want to support, so I'm thinking if possible I want to change jobs now, not wait.

Is it possible to change jobs (new employer means a new work visa will be issued) without affecting my PR application? I'm a Senior C#.Net developer with a pretty impressive CV, so generally finding work is not a problem, but I don't want to do anything to delay the PR application processing.

many thanks,

Dirk

Just to check and be sure... What sort of work visa do you have? - an ordinary temporary work visa based on your having a skilled job, or a partner-sponsored temporary work visa?

Quote Originally Posted by FatherOfMany View Post
    Hi,

I've been in NZ for just over 18 months now, living with my Kiwi wife and her kids. I've been on a work visa so far and just recently submitted my application for permanent residence based on partnership. Just yesterday we got our passports and stuff back with a letter saying that a CO will be assigned within 3 - 6 months.

I'm not really happy in my current position and had been thinking of moving on, but thought I could wait it out until I get PR. Got to the office this morning to find an email with some organisational decisions that I don't want to support, so I'm thinking if possible I want to change jobs now, not wait.

Is it possible to change jobs (new employer means a new work visa will be issued) without affecting my PR application? I'm a Senior C#.Net developer with a pretty impressive CV, so generally finding work is not a problem, but I don't want to do anything to delay the PR application processing.

many thanks,

Dirk
    As you application for permanent residence was based on partnership, you can change your job anytime

As JandM mentioned an ordinary work visa is linked to your job, though a partner sponsored work visa is based on your relationship.
    So changing jobs could affect an ordinary work visa, though would not impact a partner sponsored work visa.

Thanks everyone,

Yes, my current one is an ordinary work visa and states "the holder may work as Chief X for Company Y".

I don't care about changing jobs affecting my current work visa, I know it will... Because the company name is specified on there, I'd have to get a new work visa.
    My question is whether that (replacing the current work visa with a new one) would affect my application for permanent residence, which has just been lodged end of last month.

Thanks everyone,

Yes, my current one is an ordinary work visa and states "the holder may work as Chief X for Company Y".

I don't care about changing jobs affecting my current work visa, I know it will... Because the company name is specified on there, I'd have to get a new work visa.
    My question is whether that (replacing the current work visa with a new one) would affect my application for permanent residence, which has just been lodged end of last month.
    My Work visa is similar to yours, where my designation,company and location is mentioned. You can change jobs by filing for 'Variation of Work Conditions' application, provided the new employer is accredited and job profile and location are same. No need to file for a new work visa for such cases. Link: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...Conditions.htm

As long as you make sure you are legally covered by a visa to be in NZ at all times, your work situation won't affect your partner-sponsored Residence application. For THAT visa, they're not interested in what you do, but you do have to be careful to be within the law all the time they're looking at your case.

Thanks everyone,

Thanks JandM, that's the answer I was hoping for.

In the meantime though, my wife has nagged me to remain with this company for a bit longerand while they're paying overtime I guess I could hang around a bit longer.

Thanks for the info peeps.