Thread: Taking car to NZ - just a little query on the "who does what"

Default Taking car to NZ - just a little query on the "who does what"

Hi,

Ive already read Factsheet 44, contacted the AA as an Entry Certifier and got a Statement of Compliance and talked to some Shippers... I know the process in a high level sense, but the actual on the day, container has just arrived, physically who does what?

Is this a correct assessment:

Phase1 - All at docks/import area
    - Freight Importer (i.e. Shipping Company) arranges MAF clearance as this happens right as container lands and is process as per below -> MAF Clearance sticker
    - IVS/Border Structural Inspection - do Shipping Company arrange? -> NZTA Border sticker
    - I then have to arrange/pay Customs Clearance (while vehicle presumably at the docks etc) -> Car released but not legal to drive

Phase 2 - At (AA) Entry Certifier location - I arrange transport or can shipping company?
    Ive already contacted the AA as my Entry Certifier and got a start on the Compliance clearance (as its 20years old it avoids many of the requirements as a Classic and I already have the Statement of Compliance from BMW).

Just hoping to clear up these last few questions I have to be "sure" of all the bits, Im already taking the chance on bringing my car over (as yes I know all about the Rust and random failures in getting cars on the road there).

I can't really speak to Phase I, as I wasn't paying much attention. I got a phone call telling me how much I had to pay--which included vacuuming and storage at the port while MAF thought about vacuuming.

RE Phase II: You probably should have your car towed to the compliance centre, but in actuality most people would just drive it. I drove mine from Auckland to Napier with US plates because AA took 4 hours to show up with a new battery and the local compliance centre was closing. Note: you cannot insure an unregistered car, so do this at your own risk. Note II: You might need a new battery when you retrieve your car.

Not to de-rail the thread, but what car were you able to bring from the US?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi. View Post
    Not to de-rail the thread, but what car were you able to bring from the US?
    It was on the boat before the law changed. Prior to April 2010, one could import and register any left hand drive car provided it was for personal use. (There were some restrictions, but that was the gist of it.)

I feel a little silly writing that I drive a PT Cruiser. Chrysler had just gone bankrupt when we were moving, which sort of deflated the market for used PT Cruisers. I could possibly have gotten $6,000 (US) for it, but they were selling for $15k (NZ) at the time. Also, it's the GT model (high output turbo), which makes it a one of a kind car in NZ. My total outlay door to door, including MAF vaccuming and compliance did not exceed $2000 US.