Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you find less expensive in NZ?

Public transport I am based in Timaru and although it is a small town, it is cheaper than Dublin/Ireland and most town in Germany, even for short rides over there.

Good chocolate is cheaper too! (whether thats a good thing is debatable) and I have to agree on wine, but only compared to Ireland. Germany has its own great selection at much lower prices. The same applies to toilet paper.

We didn't have to buy one over here but while shopping whiteware we noticed that TVs are quite cheap compared to Ireland/Germany.

Hanna

Computers and TVs(US)

Cars.

batgirl - I think cars are less expensive here too but I've read posts here that say the opposite. New cars are very expensive here but I think you can get some great deals on used/low mileage cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna MW View Post
    Public transport I am based in Timaru and although it is a small town, it is cheaper than Dublin/Ireland and most town in Germany, even for short rides over there.

Good chocolate is cheaper too! (whether thats a good thing is debatable) and I have to agree on wine, but only compared to Ireland. Germany has its own great selection at much lower prices. The same applies to toilet paper.

We didn't have to buy one over here but while shopping whiteware we noticed that TVs are quite cheap compared to Ireland/Germany.

Hanna
    I saw wine in German supermarkets for ridiculously low prices the first time I went back to visit my mum (must have forgotten about it ...), but then I often wonder how they are able to produce them for that money.., and that is the same thing with lots of other goods, I suppose! In Germany many things are heavily subsidized, if you take those subsidies away products would immediately be a lot more expensive. Not that I wouldn't appreciate lower prices for certain goods, but that is, in my opinion, part of the reason for high prices here.

I'm pretty sure that brown rice is cheaper in NZ than in the US. (2.39 kg at Pak n Save).

Also apples are usually cheaper. I just paid .99 a kg at Countdown for Pinks. (I live in the Bay of Islands so they may be cheaper here than further south)

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    batgirl - I think cars are less expensive here too but I've read posts here that say the opposite. New cars are very expensive here but I think you can get some great deals on used/low mileage cars.
    Yep I am reading it as where you come from in relation to NZ so in my case, it would be CARS. full-stop, period, exclamation point.
    (and to some extend car insurance)

Vacation. The whole country is vacationy! Just go anywhere. Options aplenty.

In Singapore, the Certificate of Entitlement requirement makes cars even more expensive than its already expensive price.

Tonight's dinner! A couple of lamb chops with silver beet and carrots from the veggie garden.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast