Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you find less expensive in NZ?

Default What do you find less expensive in NZ?

We've had a lot of discussions here on what is more expensive in New Zealand. There are things that are less expensive in NZ than in the U.S. What do you find less expensive in NZ - compared to which country?

Toilet paper! (U.S)

Toothbrushes. (UK)
    That was just something I noticed when I first came here, anything else I haven't got a clue about as I haven't been to Europe since early 2010 so have no idea what things cost now.
    Last edited by girlwithanewf; 9th August 2013 at 07:18 PM.

Flour

Health Care! (Fine Print: Opinion valid only when compared to the services offered in the United States of America)
    Last edited by dbonnett; 9th August 2013 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Caveat inclusion

Car insurance and house insurance(US)

Firewood! (comparing to where I lived in the US)

I'm surprised to see TP on the list!
    Things that I find cheaper in NZ (compared with California):

Sporting events. My family loves live sporting events and we have heaps of opportunities to see sporting events at a variety of different levels for dirt cheap.

Sports clubs. There are some clubs that are more expensive, like swimming. But on the whole, we pay far less for our children to participate in after school activities than in California.

Camping. While equipment and gear is not less expensive, the variety and standard of camping sites in NZ is much cheaper. They are closer together and therefore, we don't have to spend an arm and a leg on petrol to get someplace, even though petrol costs more here. I can be in Abel Tasman in 25 minutes and the Marlborough Sounds in less than 2 hours. It takes me much longer to get there from California.

Fruits and vegetables. Not in the supermarket but, in our area we have access to heaps of farm markets, farm shops, and roadside stands. Again, driving to those places in California would cost an arm and a leg whereas, in this area at least, we have abundant access in a small area. The fruit and vege from these markets are so fresh, I never struggle to use it all before it goes bad and only need to travel fortnightly to stock up.

I've found that many herbs & spices can be bought, in bulk, for much less (than the U.S) at the Bin Inn.

Good tea including decent de-caf tea.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast