Thread: Shipping companies + a couple of other questions

Default Shipping companies + a couple of other questions

Hi all. We've had surveys with 3 companies - Anglo Pacific, Robinsons and PSS.

Not had quotes back from last 2 yet, I assume they'll be a bit cheaper than AP.

AP gave the most smooth impression but I have a tendency to support the underdog! PSS turned me a bit cold by slagging off their competitors - that's a no no in my book. I liked the Robinsons guy. But we shouldn't base the decision on salespeople - so can I ask for your experience with any of these? What kind of reputation do Robinsons have generally?

Ok other questions:

1. One said that fridges over 6 years old shouldn't be taken. Ours was second hand and not sure how old it is - would you get rid?

2. One said not to bother taking wardrobes as most houses have built in wardrobes. Is this true of cheaper (around $400pw mark) rental houses?

3. I keep getting mixed answers on this. Will our Numatic vacuum cleaner and carpet cleaner work out there?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moly View Post
    2. One said not to bother taking wardrobes as most houses have built in wardrobes. Is this true of cheaper (around $400pw mark) rental houses?
    The house I live in currrently has one room with a large built in wardrobe, one room with a teeny tiny built in wardrobe, and one room with no wardrobe. When we were house hunting, we saw a similar variation in other homes. If it doesn't add to the shipping cost too much, even if you don't need them right away, the price of furniture is pretty high here. If you find that you need them, you'll be glad not to have to rebuy them.

We are using PSS, found the guy really helpful and so far the company seem good, answering calls and queries we have etc (maybe you didn't have a strong salesman!) also remember PSS are solely international. Anglo pacific in our case turned us cold. PSS were also very competitive. We have the packers in next week, will keep you updated!
    Best of luck

Have used Robinsons twice and have found them to be very good especially in terms of the level of helpfulness from the individuals dealt with. They also matched a cheaper quote for insurance that I got.

As for bringing things I guess the decision is do you have enough room in the container for them without blowing the budget, as you could always sell them on Trade Me once you get here if you don't need them.

we bought fridge and freezer over 6 years old no problem and an ageing washing machine, we also sold our freezer on for nearly what we bought it for new 4 years later! one thing we did bring was a new upright dyson as these are expensive we hoover every day with a pet so the pull along ones with bags just don't do it and are expensive