Thread: Cost of living in Christchurch

Default Cost of living in Christchurch

Hi Guys,

Planning to move to Christchurch by next year, I'm working in the Building and Construction Industry.

I just wanted to ask how much is the cost of living in CHCH, and which part of the city is the safe place to live in?

Is there any walmart and ikea or the likes?

Thanks

I don't know Christchurch so can't help you there, but can tell you that there are no Ikea or Walmart shops in New Zealand.

Affordable rental housing in Christchurch is difficult to find at the moment, and the situation is likely to get worse before it gets much better. There are no truly "unsafe" suburbs, in the sense that you'd need to fear violent crime, but a bit of petty theft, tagging, loud parties, that sort of thing in some areas. If you'd care to state what size house or apartment you're looking for and any other factors you'll be considering (school quality and the like), I'd be happy to suggest a realistic budget and locations to consider. As far as other living costs, I haven't found a whole lot of difference in the places I've lived (Hamilton, Auckland, Christchurch), but couldn't comment on more rural locations where lack of retail competition is likely to be a factor. As mentioned above, there are no WalMarts or Ikeas here, but having moved from someplace where they were common, I don't miss them; that's just me, however -- I'm sure others do.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    I don't know Christchurch so can't help you there, but can tell you that there are no Ikea or Walmart shops in New Zealand.
    Hi girlwithanewf, Thank you for your reply.

Made some research and found out woolworths, pak'n save, New world and countdown.

I was checking the prices at Countdown's website and all I can say is "its is expensive" compared to prices here in Singapore.

But its ok, at least the beer and wine is way cheaper compared here.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    Affordable rental housing in Christchurch is difficult to find at the moment, and the situation is likely to get worse before it gets much better. There are no truly "unsafe" suburbs, in the sense that you'd need to fear violent crime, but a bit of petty theft, tagging, loud parties, that sort of thing in some areas. If you'd care to state what size house or apartment you're looking for and any other factors you'll be considering (school quality and the like), I'd be happy to suggest a realistic budget and locations to consider. As far as other living costs, I haven't found a whole lot of difference in the places I've lived (Hamilton, Auckland, Christchurch), but couldn't comment on more rural locations where lack of retail competition is likely to be a factor. As mentioned above, there are no WalMarts or Ikeas here, but having moved from someplace where they were common, I don't miss them; that's just me, however -- I'm sure others do.
    Hi sks, Thank you for your reply.

Housing:
    So far I tried to search at Locanto, is the price advertised per week or per month? Pls advice

I'm planning to go there first on my own and after I secure a gob I'll be looking for a 1BR (if possible) / 2BR house to rent before
    I fly-in my wife and kids.

Situation:
    What do you mean that "the situation is likely to get worse before it gets much better"?

Are you referring to the disaster or the current peace and order situation?

Cheers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_O View Post
    Hi sks, Thank you for your reply.

Housing:
    So far I tried to search at Locanto, is the price advertised per week or per month? Pls advice

I'm planning to go there first on my own and after I secure a gob I'll be looking for a 1BR (if possible) / 2BR house to rent before
    I fly-in my wife and kids.

Situation:
    What do you mean that "the situation is likely to get worse before it gets much better"?

Are you referring to the disaster or the current peace and order situation?

Cheers!!!
    Hi Paul,

The best place to look for housing and rentals etc is on http://www.trademe.co.nz/

Prices are definitely higher than Singapore and you have to be smart about where and when you shop. Generally prices are cheaper at Pak and Save (NZ answer to Giant in Singapore). As for Ikea similar type stores there is The Warehouse which is relatively cheap and K Mart too.

As for budget, for our family of 4 with two teenage kids our annual spend is around $60,000 which includes holidays etc etc. that figure however does not include housing mortgage or rental so if you add that in it could range any where between $25,000 ($480 week) to $34,000($650 week) for a decent 3-4 bedroom house. Again that is our current budget and it is by no means luxurious to any extend.

Hope that gives you some insight...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTeh View Post
    Hi Paul,

The best place to look for housing and rentals etc is on http://www.trademe.co.nz/

Prices are definitely higher than Singapore and you have to be smart about where and when you shop. Generally prices are cheaper at Pak and Save (NZ answer to Giant in Singapore). As for Ikea similar type stores there is The Warehouse which is relatively cheap and K Mart too.

As for budget, for our family of 4 with two teenage kids our annual spend is around $60,000 which includes holidays etc etc. that figure however does not include housing mortgage or rental so if you add that in it could range any where between $25,000 ($480 week) to $34,000($650 week) for a decent 3-4 bedroom house. Again that is our current budget and it is by no means luxurious to any extend.

Hope that gives you some insight...

Cheers

Thank You for the infos Gary...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_O View Post
    ...is the price advertised per week or per month?...
    Per week, I'm afraid. Concur with others that TradeMe is a better source for current listings.

...What do you mean that "the situation is likely to get worse before it gets much better"?

Are you referring to the disaster or the current peace and order situation?...
    Neither -- simply that with the influx of workers into Christchurch, the pressure on the housing market will likely increase before newly-constructed housing stock relieves it.

Quote Originally Posted by sks View Post
    Per week, I'm afraid. Concur with others that TradeMe is a better source for current listings.

Neither -- simply that with the influx of workers into Christchurch, the pressure on the housing market will likely increase before newly-constructed housing stock relieves it.

Thanks for your helpful comments...

Cheers...